Blackberrry and Hand Held GPSr comparison

Until now I have been using my blackberry 8830 GPSr with the Trimble Geocache Navigator for geocaching. I have been using the Radar display and enjoy it. Well, the free trial is now over and I have to decide what I'm going to do.

One thing I notice is that the accuracy of the GPSr on the blackberry looks it it has a error radius of about 10 meters when I even think about being underneath a tree. Is this normal?

What would be the range of error on a stand alone GPSr? I'm thinking of an Etrex Vista HCx or something like that. (Not sure if that's the right word, but you know what I mean right?)

I've heard of electronic compasses and some people don't like them? Other than possible battery life issues (I will use rechargeables, and carry extra with me), why don't some people like them? Looks like a good idea to me, especially if I let my daughter navigate us to some caches, she can just point in the direction of the arrow, rather than have to try to figure out which way is SW (she's 8).