New to Devon and new to Geocaching

Hello All :laughing:

We are in the process of moving to North Devon and to help us get used to the area and get out and about i have decided it would be a good thing for us to try Geocaching.

Are there any recomendations for a complete newbie for our first cache to find , ideally one that my 6 yr old will have a good chance of finding ??

Many thanks

Where abouts in North Devon will you be, and how much driving do you want to be doing??! <_<

Welcome to the forums!

Clare :laughing:

In a village called Winkleigh , and i think a fair bit of driving to begin with B) ,it would be nice to have some near the beaches as im sure we will be spending some time their over the summer (fingers crossed)

Where abouts in North Devon will you be, and how much driving do you want to be doing??! <_<

Welcome to the forums!

Clare :laughing:

In a village called Winkleigh , and i think a fair bit of driving to begin with B) ,it would be nice to have some near the beaches as im sure we will be spending some time their over the summer (fingers crossed)

Oh all the way down there, it's a bit of a cache desert, great to have a new Cacher!

Milling Around Beaford 1 and Milling Around Beaford 2 would be good to start off with.

Subtonic Segments is a nice cache, if you can solve the puzzle.

The two caches on Braunton Burrows would be good Arrakis? and Nothing to crow about. (Do keep an eye out for Adders though!)

There are plenty of very nice caches indeed on Exmoor, just watch the terrain rating.

Edited by pklong

Cheers for that pklong :laughing:

Whilst new to living in Devon , i have spent many a year on Holiday at Croyde so i know Saunton well.I also have family just outside Barnstaple and Okehampton so im sure i will be doing a fair bit of driving around B)

I have a very easy drive-by cache in Saunton, but probably a bit high up for a 6 year old to find on their own- pklong and longlady have some easy caches along the Tarka Trail, which is obviously very easy walking terrain, and safe as it's off the road.

I liked Watersmeet cache, and the ones in Valley of the Rocks, although they're a bit of a walk!

:laughing:

Cheers for that pklong :ph34r:

Whilst new to living in Devon , i have spent many a year on Holiday at Croyde so i know Saunton well.I also have family just outside Barnstaple and Okehampton so im sure i will be doing a fair bit of driving around :o

With family in Okehampton the plains of Dartmoor must be familiar territory, and there are vast numbers of caches across the moors.

I'm new to the sport myself, based around South Molton.

There are a set of puzzle caches here, about 1/2 hour from you - easy walking for a nipper - had my 8 year old doing two with me this evening. Take a look at the puzzle classics series around South Molton!