grab a coin from somewhere

terratin

Hello,

I picked up a coin from a travelbug hotel at an airport two days ago before flying home. Generally we want to move them on as quick as possible. However, this coin has not been logged yet, and neither logged as being taken out of the previous cache. The person still 'holding' it might of course still be travelling without access to internet. I'm not sure who this person is. How long should we wait until we 'grab' the coin from the previous owner to deposit it somewhere else? And if we grab it should we briefly drop it into the cache it was taken out so that the owner had that cache on his coin's travel map?

And related to that: We stumbled upon one of our own trackables in a cache. It had been sitting there for about 6 weeks while we assumed it was still in the hands of someone. Now you're not supposed to discover your own trackables, though this was a real discovery in a way :D The person depositing it there did not react to an email of ours when kindly asked to 'release' it. Is it in that case ok to discover and log ones own trackables so that it is listed for that specific cache?

I picked up a coin from a travelbug hotel at an airport two days ago before flying home. Generally we want to move them on as quick as possible. However, this coin has not been logged yet, and neither logged as being taken out of the previous cache. The person still 'holding' it might of course still be travelling without access to internet. I'm not sure who this person is. How long should we wait until we 'grab' the coin from the previous owner to deposit it somewhere else? And if we grab it should we briefly drop it into the cache it was taken out so that the owner had that cache on his coin's travel map?

I'm a bit confused here. You say it hasn't been logged out of the previous cache...which means it still shows in that previous cache but then you mention the person "holding it". Does it show in the hands of some other cacher or in another cache? If it shows in another cache, you might not have much luck trying to determine who picked it up and moved it to the cache you found it in. In that case, I'd grab it now and dip it into the cache you found it in and then retrieve it back out so it shows in your inventory so you can drop it into a new cache.

If it shows in the hands of another cacher, you can check as to when that person visited the cache it was in and retrieved it. How long ago was that? If it's a few weeks or less, they might still be travelling and haven't gotten a chance to log the drop. Or maybe they forgot to log it into the cache when they logged their Find. It happens. If you do have to grab it from them, post a note explaining that you were travelling and took the coin with you to a new cache.

And related to that: We stumbled upon one of our own trackables in a cache. It had been sitting there for about 6 weeks while we assumed it was still in the hands of someone. Now you're not supposed to discover your own trackables, though this was a real discovery in a way :unsure: The person depositing it there did not react to an email of ours when kindly asked to 'release' it. Is it in that case ok to discover and log ones own trackables so that it is listed for that specific cache?

You can just do a normal Retrieval log like you would on any other bug. I've retrieved my own bugs from caches and moved them to new caches. Nothing wrong with that.

Bruce

I'm a bit confused here. You say it hasn't been logged out of the previous cache...which means it still shows in that previous cache but then you mention the person "holding it". Does it show in the hands of some other cacher or in another cache? If it shows in another cache, you might not have much luck trying to determine who picked it up and moved it to the cache you found it in. In that case, I'd grab it now and dip it into the cache you found it in and then retrieve it back out so it shows in your inventory so you can drop it into a new cache.

If it shows in the hands of another cacher, you can check as to when that person visited the cache it was in and retrieved it. How long ago was that? If it's a few weeks or less, they might still be travelling and haven't gotten a chance to log the drop. Or maybe they forgot to log it into the cache when they logged their Find. It happens. If you do have to grab it from them, post a note explaining that you were travelling and took the coin with you to a new cache.

Thanks for your answer. In our case the coin has not been 'checked out' from the previous cache and thus not logged into the cache I found it in. When when we're going caching again this weekend we will grab it if nothing happened until then. it just feels a bit rude to me. Maybe the person who moved the coin really currently has no internet or time to log it. I'd probably be easier with it if it wasn't an airport cache where many very busy cachers might pass through :P

You can just do a normal Retrieval log like you would on any other bug. I've retrieved my own bugs from caches and moved them to new caches. Nothing wrong with that.

Bruce

Oh! I assumed it's a kind of bad manners to discover or move your own trackables. No problem in this case. The bug will eventually move on even if the in-cache times are rather long here.

Edited by terratin

How long should we wait until we 'grab' the coin from the previous owner to deposit it somewhere else?

Try to give it as much time as you can. A week would be nice but the more important thing is to keep the bug on track. For example if you had picked up the bug and moved it to another cache before noticing that it hadn't been logged, you would want to do your logging immediately.

If you do end up Grabbing it away, post a note on the cache you found it in and Drop the bug. Then Retrieve it back out. That way the bug gets credit for being at the cache where you found it.

Now you're not supposed to discover your own trackables,...

You can log anything you want on your bug, it won't give you any extra stats and it is not considered bad form to pick up and move your own bug in the wild. Especially if you are trying to correct logging.