Oregon? What about Pocket PC

It seems that I lost my Colorado 400t. The only way I can hope to find it would be to buy another unit. Then the Colorado is bound to show up the next day. I liked the Colorado topos, and paperless caching, but there is so much else not to like. I was considering a Pocket PC, but I know nothing about them. Will it be possible to load maps on one that would equal the Colorado? What about paperless caching? Which unit? Why can't I seem to make a new paragraph with this strange text editor? Thanks! Tobiah.

Edited by tobiah

First thing: A Colorado or an Oregon or any other GPS outdoor unit is built to run outdoors. So, it can handle a fall, some pressure over the screen, water, etc.

A Pocket PC, with an exception of a very few units, is not designed for the field.

You can run almost anything in a Pocket PC. There are plenty of navigation software you can run. Paperless caching is also a reality. There are many choices around.

Pocket PC has also wi-fi or mobile broadband which can also be a good thing.

I have a pocket pc and it works great. Still, I'd be better with one of those units (such as the CO or OR). I have to take extra care when I take mine unit out in woods.

It seems that I lost my Colorado 400t. The only way I can hope to find it would be to buy another unit. Then the Colorado is bound to show up the next day. I liked the Colorado topos, and paperless caching, but there is so much else not to like. I was considering a Pocket PC, but I know nothing about them. Will it be possible to load maps on one that would equal the Colorado? What about paperless caching? Which unit? Why can't I seem to make a new paragraph with this strange text editor? Thanks! Tobiah.

I have an HP iPaq and a Garmin GPS10x. The Garmin GPS came with "free" software to run on the iPaq which makes it essentially equivalent to a Nuvi GPS. I can load any Garmin (or Garmin compatible) maps on the iPaq. As someone else mentioned, the Pocket PC hardware is not as rugged as the hand-held GPSr, so I do worry about damaging it if it is raining, or if I happen to drop it. The other thing that I have noticed about my iPaq is that I must exit the Garmin MobileXT software (mapping software) in order to run CacheMate, thus I spend a good bit of time whenever I have to switch between the two apps.

I would strongly recommend going with the Oregon if you can afford it. I started with the iPaq when I was still using my 60CSx. When I got my Colorado 300 about 15-16 months ago, I still used the iPaq. About 5-6 months ago, I fell into a good deal on an Oregon 400t. Since then, I almost never use the iPaq, I manage everything on the Oregon and a small notebook in my pocket (or on my iPhone).