NUVI in the field

Lately I've seen lots of folks using various models of the Garmin NUVI, mainly for its paperless abilities and mapping features.

How accurate/good in the NUVI on the trail and woods when geocaching and how does it compare in the field with a Garmin 60 CSx ( which I use ).

Finally, what model NUVI would be best for geocaching in accuracy, and screen cache display, and paperless functions.

Well, only the Nuvi 500 series (500 & 550) are weather resistant so, I wouldn't take any other model out into the woods for fear of damaging it. Nuvi's are really most intended to live their life in urban environments & in your car.

That being said, the Nuvi's are quite accurate, probalby all of them have a similar accuracy level

I can only speak for the Nuvi 265 and the eTrex Venture HC, but I regularly get +/- 4 meters on the eTrex and frequently see "24 meter accuracy" on the Nuvi (which I equate to +/- 12 meters), so I would say the Nuvi isn’t all that great for homing in on ground zero.

Additionally, the Nuvi (at least the 265) has no compass or bearing indicator, so you would have to walk around and watch the position numbers change to see if you are close and which direction to go in.

Edited by jmd65

Lately I've seen lots of folks using various models of the Garmin NUVI, mainly for its paperless abilities and mapping features.

How accurate/good in the NUVI on the trail and woods when geocaching and how does it compare in the field with a Garmin 60 CSx ( which I use ).

Finally, what model NUVI would be best for geocaching in accuracy, and screen cache display, and paperless functions.

You mention already having a 60 CSX. Just get whatever model Nuvi you care to pay for and just keep in the car. I am amazed at the road routing ability of my little, cheap Nuvi 200. Can imagine that the higher up units are even more amazing. You could load a GPX into the Nuvi and route to caches, read a full description and get real close. Then just finish the hunt with the 60 you own using it's pointer. You can also route and add other caches as via points. This allows you to gage how much time your little hunting circuit will take.

I've found quite a few hides with just a Nuvi 200. I had proximity alerts set to 20' and it pings (most of the time) at the GZ.

Any nuvi is capable of the paperless option if you run one of the macros (I think jjreds is the latest one, but I am not sure). However, I would not consider the nuvi a very accurate unit for finding geocaches. It might get you within 20-30 feet, and if the difficulty is 1 to 2 you may be able to find the cache just by using your geosense, but most are not water resistant. I would use the nuvi for its paperless functions, but stick with the handheld unit for geocaching if you have one available.

I just started 'caching so I'm using my Nuvi 205 until I can afford to get a 'trail' model. It does do pretty well but I get tired of switching all the settings from driving to caching and back. Of course, the plan would be to use the Nuvi to get me to the general area then switch to the handheld once I get there. I have found 10 caches with it so far. I"m going to try it out in the woods tomorrow morning as I try to find my first trail caches with it.

D