Garmin can't initiate com port

For some reason only the name of my post appeared.

I've browsed extensively and found several people having the same issue but no posted solutions to this:

I have a new Dell Inspiron 1525 running Vista, a Garmin ETrex camo, a Garmin ETrex H and a USB to Serial transfer cable. Running GSAK to download caches I get that error message "Garmin can't initiate com port x" and the download fails. Geocaching.com also will not download the individual caches from the cache pages.

I have: Checked the system utilities - all USB ports will see the cable but not the GPSr

I have run this utility GpsPortChecker and it identifies the Garmin on the correct port

I have followed all the steps on this page http://gsak.net/board/index.php?showtopic=...amp;#entry11653 except I can not find the setting UNcheck "GPSr is USB"?

I have disabled Avast and Windows security

Everything works fine on the desktop running XP and on an identical laptop w/ Vista, so the cable and GPSrs are ok. All other USB devices work with this laptop - camera, ipod etc.

I do not use a palm device or anything else that syncs data

I'm guessing I'm missing some setting on the laptop? I hope somebody can help with this since I mainly got the laptop to download caches while traveling and that seems to be the one thing I can't do.

Many thanks, in advance.

For some reason only the name of my post appeared.

I've browsed extensively and found several people having the same issue but no posted solutions to this:

I have a new Dell Inspiron 1525 running Vista, a Garmin ETrex camo, a Garmin ETrex H and a USB to Serial transfer cable. Running GSAK to download caches I get that error message "Garmin can't initiate com port x" and the download fails. Geocaching.com also will not download the individual caches from the cache pages.

I have: Checked the system utilities - all USB ports will see the cable but not the GPSr

I have run this utility GpsPortChecker and it identifies the Garmin on the correct port

I have followed all the steps on this page http://gsak.net/board/index.php?showtopic=...amp;#entry11653 except I can not find the setting UNcheck "GPSr is USB"?

I have disabled Avast and Windows security

Everything works fine on the desktop running XP and on an identical laptop w/ Vista, so the cable and GPSrs are ok. All other USB devices work with this laptop - camera, ipod etc.

I do not use a palm device or anything else that syncs data

I'm guessing I'm missing some setting on the laptop? I hope somebody can help with this since I mainly got the laptop to download caches while traveling and that seems to be the one thing I can't do.

Many thanks, in advance.

Do You have a driver for the Serial to USB cable? I had the same problem with XP and an etrex ledgend gps Garmin e-mailed me a driver and then my computer recognized my GPS.

Thanks Snowball, but where did you write to get the driver? Can you tell me the driver name?

I've followed every link I can find to different drivers, uninstalled/reinstalled... no luck. Device manager identifies the cable (Radioshack USB to serial cable com4) with driver properties ser2rs.sys and serenum.sys

Properties say the "device is working properly" Update driver search just gets me the "best driver is already installed"

I still can't export waypoints from GSAK or geocaching.com. This is so dadgum frustrating ;)