Rookie Questions

chuckflstc

I 've been looking at the Garmin specs.

They keep refering to "Mapping Gps's & non Mapping" so I am wondering what mappin is!

Also they refer to "Base Maps" so again what is a base map?

Thanks

Cj

:lol:

A non-mapping GPS will only have a compass pointer that will tell you to direction and often distance from your current location to the waypoint you are navigating to. A mapping GPS will show a map with your current location, and an icon for the waypoint (for a geocache it'll look like a small treasure box). It will typically show a line between the two points as well as the distance. While I think every mapping GPS comes with some sort of "base map" the map has very few features on it (primary major roads) and a limited number of waypoints such as highway exits. If it's a Garmin GPS you can purchase topo maps with much greater detail or "City Navigator" maps. The latter also contains lot of waypoints for various businesses and can be used for "routing" (i.e turn-by-turn instructions to a destination). The Delorme GPS unites as well as the soon to be available Lowrance series have very detailed topo/terrain maps that come with the units when you buy them.