Questions about the Garmin GPSMAP® 60CSx

So a little back ground here first. Wanted to Geocache for a while now and after digging out and reading about the first GPS unit we have, the Cobra GPS100 :rolleyes: , when I turned it on it never got linked up with sattlites(sp). So we are using my girlfriends dads Garmin GPSMAP 76S.

I've been in many conversations about the Garmin GPSMAP® 60CSx with my Bro in law who has a Rino® 530HCx. I'm preaty much sold on the GPSMAP® 60CSx unit, because, the higher powered antenna, color display, cache friendly, turn by turn which I have a question about too. Does this GPS unit "talk to you" like "next street turn right"? how does the turn by turn work??? It is right in our price range and seems to be one of the better GPS units.

I'm also wondering if I can download the city navigator® north america 2008 mapping program that he has downloaded to his GPS unit or is it like a windows program once you upload the software you can't share it??

Any help/information on these issues/GPS unit would be outstanding!!!

Thank You

Anthony

No, the 60CSx won't "speak" directions. All you can do is configure it to beep when in navigation mode (using City Navigator software).

And Garmin City Navigator is tied to a particular computer and GPS unit, so you won't be able to "share" a copy of the software with your BIL -- you will need to buy your own copy of it.

I have been using a GPS60Csx for a while and really like it. It doesn't talk to you. It beeps to let you know a change is coming up. This does fine as long as you are not in heavy traffic or in a situation where you can't look at the unit. It does show on the screen the name of the next street and the direction of turn.

You can not share maps and so forth. The maps are dedicated to the unit they are registered to.

It is very good for out door sports and is great for Geocaching. The so called Geocaching feature of the unit is nothing to brag about however. It actually does nothing except ask you what kind of icon you want to use. Don't let this discourage you from using it to cache with. There are units available though that have true caching features available. I currently use my smart phone running Cachemate to be able to review the cache information. I have seen GPSr units that have this feature built in.

I love my new 60CSx. I use it for hiking and geocaching. Though you can load city navigator to it I think you would do better to just get a Nuvi for street directions and the 60CSx for hiking/geocaching. I have a Garmin Zumo that is like a Nuvi made for motorcycles, it also works great in the car. I use the Zumo to get to the cache site then the 60CSx for the hunt.

Steve