Lurking and finally made the plunge

well......i've been lurking for a couple years.....wondering if this was for me.....cause i'm a moron with the computer.....and as i suspected.....i bought a new colorado 300 today.....i have a brand new imac 24"......well.....i created a pocket query...i think? :o and i can't seem to get anything from here to the new gps......this is why i have been lurking for 3 years......cause i was hoping the technology would work its way down to us tech morons......can anyone help me?? heck......if someone lives close by.....i'll pay to get me up and running......once shown how.....i can run with it..... :D:D

well......i've been lurking for a couple years.....wondering if this was for me.....cause i'm a moron with the computer.....and as i suspected.....i bought a new colorado 300 today.....i have a brand new imac 24"......well.....i created a pocket query...i think? :unsure: and i can't seem to get anything from here to the new gps......this is why i have been lurking for 3 years......cause i was hoping the technology would work its way down to us tech morons......can anyone help me?? heck......if someone lives close by.....i'll pay to get me up and running......once shown how.....i can run with it..... :(:D

I do not own a Colorado but I use MacCaching with my Magellan. The list of supported devices is small but in their forums they have people who've gotten it to work. Just do a search for "colorado" and you'll find several threads. I have a 20" iMac and it's been a breeze to load caches with MacCaching.

Scott

I think you're in luck bigdaddy. I own a mac and an Oregon (not all that different from the Colorado), and on top of that I work in IT for a living. The only thing that could make you a little big luckier is if you were living in Ohio. Anyways, getting caches into the Colorado should be fairly easy, even for a non-techie person.

On your mac, once you have downloaded your Pocket Queries you'll need to drag them to your desktop, and double click them to extract them. You should have a folder with the same name as the file you downloaded. Once you plug in your Colorado you should see a drive called "GARMIN". Open up this drive and go into the Garmin/GPX/ folder. Now drag the file that ends with .gpx and drag it into that folder. I hope this helps, I'd be glad to help out more when I'm not rushing myself off to work.

well...the moron is back.....i got the waypoints on the gps.....but why are they under the geocaching list.....and how do i see the clues? i wanted to do this paperless.....thanks again for ALL your help!!

They should be stored under Geocaches. Since I don't actually have a Colorado I'll refer you to this page which goes into some detail about geocaching mode. There's some great info on this wiki about your Colorado also:

http://garmincolorado.wikispaces.com/Geocaching

well...the moron is back.....i got the waypoints on the gps.....but why are they under the geocaching list.....and how do i see the clues? i wanted to do this paperless.....thanks again for ALL your help!!

There are two files in the PQ. One contains the caches themselves, including descriptions, hints and logs. Those show up in the geocache list. The other file, which has "wpts" in the name, contains only child waypoints such as parking spots and trailheads. Those will show up under waypoints, but won't do you much good in terms of seeing the cache description, etc.

Go to Where To, select Geocaches, and select the cache you want. On the resulting cache screen, press the left option button and select Show Description. That will show you the basic description. From there, the left option button has options for Hints (if there are any) and Logs. Use the right button, which will be labeled Back, to back out of the logs, hints, description, etc.

well.....here is where i'm at......i can do them one at a time.....with the send to gps button and it uses a communicator......and it sends all as a cache with hints and descpritions......but only if i do one at a time......if i do a pocket query.....it just make them waypoints.....i'm sure it is something simple i'm doing wrong.....i really appreciate the help folks!

well.....here is where i'm at......i can do them one at a time.....with the send to gps button and it uses a communicator......and it sends all as a cache with hints and descpritions......but only if i do one at a time......if i do a pocket query.....it just make them waypoints.....i'm sure it is something simple i'm doing wrong.....i really appreciate the help folks!

Have you installed the WebUpdater from Garmin to make sure your Colorado firmware is up to date? The link to Mac downloads is found here:

http://www8.garmin.com/macosx/index.jsp

I know they've gone through quite a few revisions on the firmware.

Edited by TeamAldridge

well.....TeamAldridge.....i appreciate all your help......but i still can not get the colorado to load a pocketQ as caches......it is just waypoints......but we have been able to just load one at a time.....and it does it correctly......we found our first 2 caches yesterday....i'm pretty frustrated with it though.....

well.....TeamAldridge.....i appreciate all your help......but i still can not get the colorado to load a pocketQ as caches......it is just waypoints......but we have been able to just load one at a time.....and it does it correctly......we found our first 2 caches yesterday....i'm pretty frustrated with it though.....