Connection 12XL

H'villeJas

I have a old, but very reliable 12XL that I have purchesd the required data transfer cable. Useing this and the download connection program, geocache does not detect my unit. I went to a US site and down loaded some trial freeware, and proved the cable and unit can communicate with my PC. Any ideas to assist with my problem? I am trying to download the gps co-ords to my GPS using a cable.

I have a old, but very reliable 12XL that I have purchesd the required data transfer cable. Useing this and the download connection program, geocache does not detect my unit. I went to a US site and down loaded some trial freeware, and proved the cable and unit can communicate with my PC. Any ideas to assist with my problem? I am trying to download the gps co-ords to my GPS using a cable.

I have an even older 45xl... I have yet to do it, but I suspect that you also have to do some editing.

The new protocols have far more data than the older machines can digest. Try the technology forum, they had answers there before, but you might have to dig a bit... search on 12xl in the search box. I think the .LOC files are closer to start with... but like I said have to be trimmed. You might have to use one of the management softwares similar to GSAK (which might work as well).

Doug

.... geocache does not detect my unit.

What exactly are you doing when this happens? I f you're attempting to use the "Send To GPS" button on the cache page I believe this won't work for units with a serial interface. You should download the loc file and use EasyGPS or one of the other programs listed on the geocaching website. See Downloading GPX/LOC Files(link)<_<:D

Also the 12 series only allow waypoints with six characters. The work around for this is to strip the 'GC' off the waypoint code with the software program used to transfer the waypoints.