Geocaching mode Colorado / Oregon

goldsy

Hey all,

I'm in the process of looking for a new GPSr. I'm going to get either a Colorado 300 or an Oregon 300. My 60CSx is dying a slow death but has served me well. The reason for wanting a Colorado or Oregon as apposed to another 60CSx is the fact I can load my pq's and have all the cache information right on the 1 unit instead of having to use my blackberry, palm, etc.

I live in Nova Scotia, there are approx 4200 caches here that I have not found yet :P

I current run PQ's and get the GPX data for every cache in the province and I load them onto my 60CSx as POI's so I have every Cache available to me at anytime. I plan on doing this the same way with the new GPSr.

My question is. Is there a limit to the amount of caches I can have in the unit? Can I load the 4200 caches as POI's on the Oregon and Colorado and be able to have all of the cache information loaded in there as well or am I restricted to a certain number?

Thanks in advance.

Hey all,

I'm in the process of looking for a new GPSr. I'm going to get either a Colorado 300 or an Oregon 300. My 60CSx is dying a slow death but has served me well. The reason for wanting a Colorado or Oregon as apposed to another 60CSx is the fact I can load my pq's and have all the cache information right on the 1 unit instead of having to use my blackberry, palm, etc.

I live in Nova Scotia, there are approx 4200 caches here that I have not found yet :P

I current run PQ's and get the GPX data for every cache in the province and I load them onto my 60CSx as POI's so I have every Cache available to me at anytime. I plan on doing this the same way with the new GPSr.

My question is. Is there a limit to the amount of caches I can have in the unit? Can I load the 4200 caches as POI's on the Oregon and Colorado and be able to have all of the cache information loaded in there as well or am I restricted to a certain number?

Thanks in advance.

There is a 2000 geocache limit on the Oregon, but there is a GSAK workaround that lets you put unlimited caches on as custom POI's. I load the 2000 closest to home with the built-in geocaching mode, but I keep the whole county (about 5000 caches) as custom waypoints...same full cache pages of data, just a few more screen taps to get to, and they're broken down by cache type...traditional, mystery etc

http://jjreds01.googlepages.com/download

Edited by Triple Crown

GSAK and associated macros will let you load as many caches as you want as a combo of caches and POI's.

Tervas' solution is also a good one. You can carry multiple SD cards with different .gpx files for various "zones" or you can carry them all on one card and use your PDA's file manager to move them around.

Be sure to read through the various threads on this forum before you decide between the Colorado and the Oregon. Garmin seems to be more focused on the Oregon going forward.

Buy from a place with a liberal return policy.