Blackberry Storm

TJer99

Try Blackstar. The best one I have seen for BB's.

I've just started GeoCaching, and was unsure what I would need in terms of software for my Storm. After some investigating on Crackberry and other sites, Blackstar came out highly recommended as the best free option.

It allows you to enter the latitude / longitudes only in decimal format (which can be obtained from Cache info on GeoCaching.com), allows saving of "waypoints", and has a compass. I have coupled this with using Sanoodi which allows you to track your walk / cycle / etc routes, and upload them from your device.

The only thing lacking is the ability to download caches to your device directly - something you'd get with GeoCache Navigator, etc. but hey, for free you can't complain. I assess what cache(s) I'm going to, and download the info (via PC) to device as waypoints, and then I'm set.

Keeps it (kinda) basic [:laughing:]

CacheBerry download here. As far as I remember it has a free 2 weeks trial .

You can store caches and their descriptions on the Storm ( I have nearly 3000 on mine) memory card required.

Compass view to guide you to the cache .

Ability to create field notes which you can later email to your desktop/ laptop for uploading to GS

Search and sort caches closest to you .

Full cache description ,hints and logs.

AFAIremember it's only $15 for a lifetime subscription.

You dont need anything else

Edited by Beefy4605

Try Blackstar. The best one I have seen for BB's.

The only thing lacking is the ability to download caches to your device directly - something you'd get with GeoCache Navigator, etc. but hey, for free you can't complain. I assess what cache(s) I'm going to, and download the info (via PC) to device as waypoints, and then I'm set.

Keeps it (kinda) basic [:rolleyes:]

Blackstar can indeed look-up caches directly(almost directly), and can be done on the fly wherever you are.

When you get Blackstar, you will to create a bcaching account. This account gives you a special e-mail address and wou will use this e-mail address to send your PQ's(Pocket Queries) to. Once you do that, you from Blackstar you can open the menu and select "list waypoints", then select "Get Closest bcaching GPX" from the waypoint list menu.

Bam, in just a few seconds, you will have the 20 caches closest to you. Not exactly directly, but possible, and without the stupid subscription fee Trimble charges. What more can you ask for?

You can also log into geocaching.com from your blackberry and setup new pocket queries on the fly any time you want, provided you have cell coverage of course. As soon as the pocket query generator runs and e-mails the PQ, you should be able to access it from your blackberry.

Hope this helps.