Vista Hcx vs 60Csx

I'm looking at picking up either a Vista Hcx or a GPSMAp 60Csx.

From what I've read both would be fine choices, and looking at their important features (high sensitivity receiver, ability to load maps, etc) they are very similar. However the 60Csx is about $100CDN more that the Hcx.

Is their any reason to spend the extra cash on the 60Csx? Is their anything I would be majorly missing out on if I pick up th Hcx?

Thanks for your time!

The 60 has an external antenna port. The antenna inside is different inside as well.. the 60csx has a helix antenna, arguably better than the patch antenna of the Etrexes. Google around.

The biggest tangible difference is the form factor... Etrexes are smaller and fit in one hand and can be operated with one hand with the side buttons / front joystick thingy. The 60 has front buttons and more often needs two hands. The 60 is arguably more suited for mounted dashboard usage as well for that reason.

Edited by Maingray

The 60 has an external antenna port. The antenna inside is different inside as well.. the 60csx has a helix antenna, arguably better than the patch antenna of the Etrexes. Google around.

The biggest tangible difference is the form factor... Etrexes are smaller and fit in one hand and can be operated with one hand with the side buttons / front joystick thingy. The 60 has front buttons and more often needs two hands. The 60 is arguably more suited for mounted dashboard usage as well for that reason.

side note.. The HCx series eTrex does have mounting hardware (usually a slide-in slot on the mount) that fits the spring-tab they furnish with them. I've broken said tab a couple of times, as well.. (and blown another $17.99 for a bike mount with the case back & spring tab molded together.) The HCx series, though, the case back is metal inside (to provide RFI shielding to the semi-exposed micro-SD card) and the all plastic case cover won't fit because of the memory card.

The 60CSx is a larger screen, besides the external antenna socket.. Though, the output is roughly the same. (haven't tinkered with the 60 myself..) I have the Venture HC & the Legend HCx myself..

You're not the first person asking this question. Take a quick look around in this forum and you will find some more topics on this particular choice. For instance:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...p;#entry3718842

I think (correct me if I'm wrong) that it boils down to the following:

The functionality is pretty much the same.

The 60 is often said to be to be a bit more accurate (different chipset and antenna), but the Vista performs pretty good as well.

So I'd guess that, besides the price, the layout of the units is the only really important difference?

The screens are different. Personally I find the screen of the Vista a little bit better, as I mentioned in the topic linked above.

For the handling and button placement, it comes down to personal preference I'd guess. Maybe you know of some people that own one of the two devices, so you can try them out? Or visit a local shop that sells them both, so you can compare them yourself. If it comes down to handling and such, I believe that is the only way to go.

Edited by Orion84

I have the Vista Hcx my Assistant Scoutmaster has the 60, so do his 2 sons and his son in law. There is virtually no difference in accuracy, trust me we have compared, they are constantly bragging about their GPSr, but there is no real differnce in accuracy.

As far as the differences once you figure out all the buttons on the 60 some of them are very handy. You can get around this with the HCX by setting up the order of the pages you want to see. Biggest plus for the 60 for me is the bigger screen, that would come in handy while driving other than that I will save my money.