Verizon's BlackBerry GPSr

crawil

I sent Verizon the following message regarding the locking of the BlackBerry's internal GPSr:

I would like to find out what needs to be done to allow 3rd party applications to be able to access the locked GPSr in a Verizon BlackBerry. As a geocacher, I use programs like CacheBerry (http://cacheberry.com), for which there is no substitute in the VZNavigator suite, but it is seriously cobbled by the lack of GPS support.

Other than this single issue, I am extremely happy with Verizon and all of their services and I make a point of letting any one that asks know of my positive feelings (with the one exception).

Thank you,

This is the reply I recieved:

Dear xxxxxxx,

Thank you for contacting our Verizon Wireless website. The inquiry below was received by our technical support department on 03/24/2009. However, due to higher than normal volume we were unable to address it within the 24-48 hour time frame as promised.

We apologize that you are not satisfied with the functionality of the GPS service on Verizon Wireless Blackberry/PDA Smartphones. Customer feedback, such as yours, enables Verizon Wireless to continually improve the products available to our customers. We apologize for any inconvenience incurred as a result of our product's current functionality.

We appreciate your interest in our data products and services. We'd like to assure you that we are committed to providing the very latest in products and services. Verizon Wireless does not provide support for applications such as BlackBerry Maps or other 3rd party software that would be required to make full use of the BlackBerry's GPS capabilities. As a result, the BlackBerry's GPS functionality has not been enabled so that we are able to provide a standardized level of functionality and support for our advanced devices.

The devices created for use on the Verizon Wireless network prevent our user's location form being obtained by unauthorized applications. At Verizon Wireless we value the security and privacy of our subscriber data and user information and we have taken this into account in the development of our location based services offerings. To alleviate concerns regarding access to data by malicious applications and misuse of location information, Verizon Wireless' location based services utilize a solution that requires each location request to be authenticated and accepted prior to a user's location being obtained through the network and used by authorized applications.

Verizon Wireless is aggressively working to expand our suite of location based services offerings in a way that does not compromise our dedication to privacy and security yet offers value and flexibility to our customers. For that reason, we rigorously test our products prior to launching them in an effort ensure they meet our standards of excellence. Doing so allows us to confidently address information regarding products or services that we currently offer. Disclosing any unconfirmed information that may be subject to change could raise expectations that may not be met. At this time, we are unable to state if/when additional GPS functionality will become available as no information has been given. We understand and sincerely apologize for any frustration and would like to encourage you to sign up for email updates so you can receive information regarding our new products and services. We have no way available by email, customer service departments or store location to unlock additional GPS functions on any of the Verizon Wireless devices.

You can receive e-mail updates regarding new products and services, please click on "Sign up for email updates" from the "Support" tab located at the top of our www.verizonwireless.com homepage.

Other troubleshooting tips and helpful product information can be found at www.verizonwireless.com/data. It has been a pleasure assisting you today. We appreciate your business and thank you for choosing Verizon Wireless.

Sincerely,

Proncel

Verizon Wireless

Data Technical Support

;):):);)

This is a subject that intrests me as well being a Verizon customer and having just bought a Blackberry. In the cacheberry forums it is very hard to tell if this will or will not work. I have a Blackberry Storm and some testers are saying that it works but I am unclear if it only works with a subscription to Navigation or if the GPS function is unlocked. I have read both and am confused about it all. I dont see why they , Verizon, wont unlock the GPS function of the phone for use with 3rd part apps if it isnt. Personally I dont think they like the thought of something competing with Navigation although cacheberry and the like are very different. Currently I am subscribed to Navigation through Verizon so if I get cacheberry will it work or not is the question I am asking? :) Or rather wanting to know the answer too.

No question - just passing information on to the rest of the community.

I have a BlackBerry Curve (8830) with Verizon and I use CacheBerry along with my eTrex Vista HCx. The CacheBerry is great for paperless caching. The downer is that the new version of CacheBerry has a built-in compass so you can use the BB for navigation - unless you are a Verizon customer. All the other providers allow the software to access the GPS.

I'm not issuing a call for action, but according to their own text:

Customer feedback, such as yours, enables Verizon Wireless to continually improve the products available to our customers.

I have a BB Storm and am beta testing the CacheBerry version with the inbuilt compass. I live in Northern Ireland and my network does not restrict use of the GPS in the phone so can not comment on your situation . What I will say is that Verizon users SHOULD be complaining - the more you complain the more chance that it the GPS will be unlocked.How long do you have to sign up (length of contract) and how easy is it to change carriers?

Although the CacheBerry program is still in beta testing - it's good - you are going to want it . The compass works well and after a few more additions coming this year I think it will be as good if not better than the i-phone or the Trimble application.

Verizon just replaced my EnV2 on Sunday, and with the refurbished phone, turned on Verizon Navigator for free for one month. When I tried it for the first time in the Starbucks parking lot, I have to say I was shocked at how accurate it was. I thought it would be off a couple hundred feet or something...but it seemed as accurate as my Garmin