Firefighter related geocoin

gumputt

I am part of a 5013c non-profit organization called the International Fire Relief Mission or IFRM. We collect fire equipment that is no longer being used in the United States and relocate it to other countries that have need of fire equipment. We enjoy geocaching and had a geocoin minted to help let others know of our organization and mission. The coin was made by and sold by USA Geocoins. The website listing for the geocoin is http://www.usageocoins.com/geocoins.htm. The way IFRM is chartered, we cannot sell any items. That is why USA Geocoins sells the coins and donates part of the sale to the IFRM. Therefore I am looking for ideas and ways to promote the sale of the geocoin. If you would like to know more about the IFRM, their website is www.ifrm2007.com. There is a link on the page to the coin and also a link tells about geocaching and the IFRM. Thank you for any ideas on how to promote the sales of the coin.

Posting here will help some for sure ... Thank you for the reminder about the coins. I saw them in the newsletter and will add them when the next paycheck comes around. [i wanted to add this to my collection and thought it was a great cause. My dad is a retired firefighter and I have a coin circulating around with the goal to find firefighter/firefighting related memorials, museums, ... . I send him the posts for it (he's come out caching with me but he's not a geocacher).]

Regarding ways to promote sales besides posting here and having the link to the organization, which is also a good way to help promote.

I think a mission/cointest/geocaching event around a date that is firefighting related could be a great way. Also, there are folks who do fund raising coins - perhaps they have some advice. Is there a forum for firefighters who are cachers ... I think there are ones for police officers?

When you get some of those coins in hand, and when they're no longer being sold by the store, try putting some on the eplace. There's no guarantee you'll make scads of money; otoh, there are people who are there who are not active here, so it's yet another way to sell the coins.

I'd also recommend going to all of the fire fighting-related message boards online and asking the mods if you could post about it. Assuming they say "yes", make sure your post includes a link to the Geocacher U Geocaching 101 brochure so that people who aren't familiar with geocaching can find out about it. Make sure you explain that this is a collectable item, like a military challenge coin (which may be a more familiar term to much of the readership at those fora). I'd also contact local news outlets. They might be interested in doing a story about your organization and geocaching; in particular, how an organization taps into an internet-based phenomenon in order to get its message out.

Good luck!