Introducing the Oil Slick Starfish Geocoin - Now Available

AtlantaGal

from the Geoswag newsletter (my emphasis)

Today we release the Oil Slick version of the popular Starfish. We wanted to raise awareness of the fragile nature of our earths oceans.

Ah - so much more understandable when an explanation is given ! But he just ain't so cute in black - but I guess that also gets the message across, kind of !

Today we release the Oil Slick version of the popular Starfish. We wanted to raise awareness of the fragile nature of our earths oceans.

Ah - so much more understandable when an explanation is given ! But he just ain't so cute in black - but I guess that also gets the message across, kind of !

I just found this on a news site, 20 years and still major issues:

But with still-pungent oil lingering on some beaches, Prince William Sound herring stocks nearly wiped out by an epidemic that fishermen believe was triggered by the spill, various animal populations depleted and residents exhausted by long years of still-unresolved litigation......

A June 25 U.S. Supreme Court decision, which shrank a punitive award that had originally been $5 billion to a mere $507.5 million, was devastating to fishermen, Alaska Natives and other spill litigants. Meanwhile, Exxon is prospering, with more than $30 billion in cash on its balance sheet.

Definitely good timing for the coin.

More info from wikipedia

Overall reductions in population have been seen in various ocean animals, including stunted growth in pink salmon populations.[13] Sea otters and ducks also showed higher death rates in following years, partially because they ingested prey from contaminated soil and from ingestion of oil residues on hair due to grooming.[14]

Almost 20 years after the spill, a team of scientists at the University of North Carolina found that the effects are lasting far longer than expected.[13] The team estimates some shoreline habitats may take up to 30 years to recover.[3] Exxon Mobil denies any concerns over this, stating that they anticipated a remaining fraction that they assert will not cause any long-term ecological impacts, according to the conclusions of 350 peer-reviewed studies.[14] However, a study from scientists from NOAA concluded that this contamination can produce chronic low-level exposure, discourage subsistence where the contamination is heavy, and decrease the "wilderness character" of the area

Actually the photo hardly does him justice. He's really adorable. <personal comment aimed at another removed by moderator>

Edited by Eartha

I agree, a good message and coin! I couldn't believe when I heard they still had some 20 million gallons of oil floating about out there!! Sad...and even sadder when you realize Exxon doesn't care!

I'm sure as individuals they care very much indeed, from a business point of view they will employ people to conduct damage limitation so that as a company they do not suffer too greatly financially - that's business.

This coin has certainly made us all think a little bit more about our environment today, which is definitely a good thing.