Zone edit online (and version update notes)

Captain Gore-tex

Having set a simple square zone I now want to edit it into a particular shape aligned to roads on a map.

When I go to the edit online option it shows an error box with internet explorer script error in line 211 character 3 and when the map does come up it is for 1600 Amphitheatre Pky, Mountain View, CA.

For previous cartridges I have used this function okay but not anymore.

Any ideas?

Second question, when I upload a new version of a cartridge to the site how can I edit the notes to explain the changes?

Having set a simple square zone I now want to edit it into a particular shape aligned to roads on a map.

When I go to the edit online option it shows an error box with internet explorer script error in line 211 character 3 and when the map does come up it is for 1600 Amphitheatre Pky, Mountain View, CA.

For previous cartridges I have used this function okay but not anymore.

Any ideas?

Second question, when I upload a new version of a cartridge to the site how can I edit the notes to explain the changes?

Sadly from reading other topics, the builder used rather questionable (undocumented) functions when using google maps. This has meant when Google updated their mapping stuff back in November, the undocumented functions no longer behaved the same way they used to and the builder stopped working. Even more of a shame is Groundspeak not fixing the builder. I suspect they are putting their efforts into making money by selling an aplet for the iPone at the moment (and from what I gather the builder is looking quite good in comparison). Perhaps they could make the builder code opensource and allow others to fix the bugs rather than the community writting new builders from scratch. Ranger Fox seems to have got the mapping side of things working quite nicely in his log analysis program.

I digress, since the loss of functionality, I've been using mapping software to draw the zones, saving the points as a text file, then loading them into a text editor and after a bit of a tidy up they can be cut and pasted into the lua file. I would be curious to know what other methods people are using.

Are you talking about adding in comments into the release notes? If so, I think that just displays versions and when they where uploaded, no more than that, although it would be nice to put some text there. Otherwise, editing the notes should be a case of loging into www.Wherigo.com, select your old cartrige and select Edit Details, or (if your like me and filled up all the space available) just add a note to the Wherigo page saying what you have done or edit the details in the geocache page which I think has more room.

Edited by a_snail

Adding release notes does require an upload through the web site and not through the Builder.

There's an alternative zone creator online as well: http://Wherigo.geoteam.info/zone_creator.aspx

I think, perhaps, Groundspeak will be supporting the Earwigo in the future. Wherigo's versatility has been proving the Builder's Achilles heel. I don't know if it's even possible to code a UI for all the possible uses I've seen. Personally, I'd be satisfied with a Visual Studio plug-in that would let me create cartridges that way (and the "build" action would generate the lua file you see the Builder using).

But, yes, you do have to pay the bills before you can play around with other fun things. Businesses (including Groundspeak) are no exception.

Adding release notes does require an upload through the web site and not through the Builder.

There's an alternative zone creator online as well: http://Wherigo.geoteam.info/zone_creator.aspx

I think, perhaps, Groundspeak will be supporting the Earwigo in the future. Wherigo's versatility has been proving the Builder's Achilles heel. I don't know if it's even possible to code a UI for all the possible uses I've seen. Personally, I'd be satisfied with a Visual Studio plug-in that would let me create cartridges that way (and the "build" action would generate the lua file you see the Builder using).

But, yes, you do have to pay the bills before you can play around with other fun things. Businesses (including Groundspeak) are no exception.

That works well, its a shame you can't paste your zone into it, modify it a bit and copy the zone back out.

Definitally added to my favorites list

Thanks