Help with position formats/coordinates

dirtfiend

I just bought a Garmin GPSmap 60CSx and have a few questions about position format/datums. Sorry for the annoying questions, there’s just some confusion I cant get around and its really getting to me.

I currently have it setup to use hddd mm.mmm WGS 84, but there’s different coordinate formats that just don’t add up when I try and enter them.

I have a few books with some places I’d like to see, but they use a format that looks like

N35 29.99

W117 48.18

The only format my GPS has that comes close looks like this when I enter it (im adding the zero obviously)

N35 29.990

W117 48.180

Is this the correct way to do it? How can I use this thing properly? Even when trying to use Google Earth, the coordinates are different and are missing just one number.

Example when using hddd mm’ss.s

N35 24’42.00

W117 52’21.00

But my GPS will say

N35 24’42.00.x

W117 52’21.00.x

(x is just a random number)

Help me understand please =\

I currently have it setup to use hddd mm.mmm WGS 84, but there’s different coordinate formats that just don’t add up when I try and enter them.

I have a few books with some places I’d like to see, but they use a format that looks like

N35 29.99

W117 48.18

The only format my GPS has that comes close looks like this when I enter it (im adding the zero obviously)

N35 29.990

W117 48.180

Is this the correct way to do it?

Yes, this is correct. The less specific coords you cited are probably to something rather large, that doesn't require a 3-digit level of detail to be found. Adding a zero here is good.

You can also change Google Earth to accept coords in that same format; Tools -> Options -> Show Lat/Long (box in the middle of the pop-up window). Here, "Degrees, Decimal Minutes" = hddd mm.mmm

Hope this helps.