Additonal Hints uploading to GPS

Treaddirt

I'm new at this...I've upload two caches to my Oregon 400t via the "send to GPS" gray button on the cache page. In both cases the Additional Hints (text) did not transfer to the GPS. Is this normal? Is there a way to get the "hints" loaded to the GPS along with all the other information?

I'm loading directly from the cache web page to the GPS via Garmin Communicator. I'm not using any software like EasyGPS - should I??

Thanks

I'm new at this...I've upload two caches to my Oregon 400t via the "send to GPS" gray button on the cache page. In both cases the Additional Hints (text) did not transfer to the GPS. Is this normal? Is there a way to get the "hints" loaded to the GPS along with all the other information?

I'm loading directly from the cache web page to the GPS via Garmin Communicator. I'm not using any software like EasyGPS - should I??

Thanks

Hook up your Oregon to the uSB port and then use the GPX file option - store the GPX in the [drive]:\garmin\gpx folder on the device. That will work.

Better yet - Premium member can download up to 500 caches at a time via the Pocket Queries feature. Here is a fine tutorial: http://www.markwell.us.pq.htm

StarBrand; thank you for the information and the web site link. I'll do some research into the GPX files and loading them to Oregon as well as the microSD card. I've read some about them but as a first attempt to loading caches to the GPS I thought the "send to GPS" button would do it. Again, thank you for the help, the advice you gave me will get me going in the right direction.

StarBrand; thank you for the information and the web site link. I'll do some research into the GPX files and loading them to Oregon as well as the microSD card. I've read some about them but as a first attempt to loading caches to the GPS I thought the "send to GPS" button would do it. Again, thank you for the help, the advice you gave me will get me going in the right direction.

I have a oregon 300 and cant figure out how to get the Additional hints uploaded, I'm getting very confused after thinking that it should be easy! I'm a premium member and I would've thought that clicking "send to GPS" would send the info to the gps!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a oregon 300 and cant figure out how to get the Additional hints uploaded, I'm getting very confused after thinking that it should be easy! I'm a premium member and I would've thought that clicking "send to GPS" would send the info to the gps!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll quote myself: :)

Hook up your Oregon to the USB port and then use the GPX file option - you will get a box asking where to save it - store the GPX file in the [drive]:\garmin\gpx folder on the device. unhook and emjoy! That will work faster than the send to GPS.

Better yet - Premium members can download up to 500 caches at a time via the Pocket Queries feature. Here is a fine tutorial: http://www.markwell.us.pq.htm

Thanks for that.

I did all that, downloaded the PQ, uploaded them to the gps but still dont see the text below on any of the geocaches.

Hint: A|B|C|D|E|F|G|H|I|J|K|L|M

Key: N|O|P|Q|R|S|T|U|V|W|X|Y|Z

Arfgvat n lneq uvtu

You won't - after you select a cache and goto - return to the Geocaching icon and one of the menu items will be to see any hints - there you will see them with no need to decrypt.

Thanks for that.

I did all that, downloaded the PQ, uploaded them to the gps but still dont see the text below on any of the geocaches.

Arfgvat n lneq uvtu

You won't - after you select a cache and goto - return to the Geocaching icon and one of the menu items will be to see any hints - there you will see them with no need to decrypt.

I think missing something fundemental here! Whats the point in the hint being encrypted if it gets decrypted automatically? I'm really confuzzled!

Thanks for that.

Arfgvat n lneq uvtu

I think missing something fundemental here! Whats the point in the hint being encrypted if it gets decrypted automatically? I'm really confuzzled!

It is only encrypted on the listing page online - all of the different paperless apps I have used over the years auto decrypt it for you. I guess the difference is - I choose to click the button to show me the hint on the app - if I just printed the online page - it would just be there and I might see or read it inadvertently.