Looking for GPS

bannonboy87

Hello,

I am trying to get started Geocaching, but I have been spending lots of time shopping around for a good GPS. If there is anyone who has feedback on the Garmin Colorado 400T I would appreciate it. I have found pretty good deals off of E-bay and they seem like a top of the line GPS. Just was wondering if anyone out there has used them?!?

Also, if anyone is interested in selling theirs I would also like to know!

First off, welcome to Geocaching!

Second, and don't think I'm trying to discourage you, but all GPSr's are essentially the same, from the basic Garmin eTrex to the Garmin Colorado 400T. All of them point you in the direction you need to go. The differences are simply based on what you would like to have in your hand. Accessibility and grey-scale/color screen options, number of buttons, and furthermore the price.

I personally own the bottom of the line Garmin eTrex, so old it needs a serial port to connect to PC to download waypoints, lol. But it has a resistant exterior (which is good because I drop things a lot), and is as accurate as most any other GPSr. But the best thing for me was it was dirt cheap =)

As with all technology, if you go for the top-of-the-line every time you buy, you'll soon have outdated tech in a few months to a year. Best to research what features you want and what you don't need, then get a model based on that. If that's the Colorado 400T, awesome! I just hope you don't break the bank on a Swiss-Army-knife equivalent where you only use 10% of the full functionality. =)

First, all GPS units are NOT created equal, the old tech is simply that, old tech! The reception of many of the older ones (especially the etrex line pre-H series) is terrible compared to the new tech! I do not use a CO 400, so I will not try to tell you anything technical about it, but I will say I've heard good and bad about it.

As was said, you should decide on what you want from your unit...routing? paperless? Going on long hikes where battery life is important, or will you be near your vehicle where you could recharge if you had the capability? Are you looking for touchscreen? Do you want aerial imagery, color sat imagery, hi-res city imagery? How much are you willing to pay? Waterproof? it goes on and on!

My suggestion, go to amazon.com and look up the Colorado series, then check out some other units like the Garmin 60CSx, the DeLorme PN-40, the Garmin Oregon series and compare them, read the reviews and get an idea of what suits you best!!

Good luck!! Oh, I'm a proud and very happy DeLorme PN-40 owner. I love the aerial imagery, the hi-res city imagery, the routing, the paperless features and the fact that the maps come in the box (meaning routing and TOPO are all right there in the box as well as TOPO7 software, a very useful tool). The aerial imagery and such are additional maps which you can get through a $30/year subscription!