Another newbie asking questions about GPS

Hultis-

I have a really old GPS (Garmin GPS 45 XL) but it's meant for naval use, also it is slow, doesn't have maps, has a bad reception and it doesn't seem to be very accurate, especially not with the bad reception.

Anyway, long story short, which is better, Garmin GPS 12 MAP och Garmin eTrex Legend (the original)? Main priorities: getting halfway decent maps and good accuracy at a low price. Are they good enough and will it be possible to get cables for interfacing with a computer or should I aim for some newer GPS? BTW, the 12 MAP costs half of what the eTrex Legend costs.

You don't say if you are buying used or new. If you are buying new don't get the Legend. It is an old unit and I don't know why Garmin even sells it. The Venture HC is only a few bucks more and is a far, far better unit.

The GPS 12 will work, but don't spend too much. I wouoldn't go much above $30 for it. The Legend will also work, but if you're paying more that maybe $60 for it consider the Venture HC. Last I looked it was only $108 new on Walmart.com and it comes with 3 times the map memory of the Legend, faster processor, a color display, USB connection and the high sensitivity receiver for great reception under trees.

Edited by briansnat

The two GPS:es mentioned earlier were used, but they cost a bit more than you said you would pay for them. Therefore, and because of the seemingly awesome sensitivity and reception (two major selling points) of the Venture HC, I'm leaning towards a new GPS. I also stumbled across the Legend HCx (retails for the same price) which seems to be even better, so I think I will buy it. Good choice?

The two GPS:es mentioned earlier were used, but they cost a bit more than you said you would pay for them. Therefore, and because of the seemingly awesome sensitivity and reception (two major selling points) of the Venture HC, I'm leaning towards a new GPS. I also stumbled across the Legend HCx (retails for the same price) which seems to be even better, so I think I will buy it. Good choice?

The Legend HCX is even better but it usually retails for about $50-60 more than the Venture HC. If you can find it for the same price as the Venture HC, go for it!

I have and love the Explorist 500. However it does not use the same maps as Garmin. All I use is the Basemap that comes in it and that is enough for my area. The Explorist is a discontinued unit, so considering the way some others have come down in price I would not go over $100 for it.

Edited by jeffbouldin