Meteorological Earthcache?

Carbon Hunter

I have been thinking about Earthcaches in my new region (the Arabian Peninsula), and have noticed a number of interesting meteorological phenomenon - like the Shamil (a hot wind that brings a lot of dust with it and aids aeolian deposits) and coastal fog.

I also thought of Cape Town's famous "Table-cloth" of cloud over Table Mountain - or rain shadows in the lee of mountain ranges.

These are all related to the Earth - but can they form the basis of an Earthcache? Provided one gets the educational and observational criteria included?

I have been thinking about Earthcaches in my new region (the Arabian Peninsula), and have noticed a number of interesting meteorological phenomenon - like the Shamil (a hot wind that brings a lot of dust with it and aids aeolian deposits) and coastal fog.

I also thought of Cape Town's famous "Table-cloth" of cloud over Table Mountain - or rain shadows in the lee of mountain ranges.

These are all related to the Earth - but can they form the basis of an Earthcache? Provided one gets the educational and observational criteria included?

The dust and/or sand that is brought by the hot wind sooner or later (usually later in human terms) can turn into sedimentary rock. Maybe that could be your approach: "Sedimentary Rock-The Beginning!". The "Table-cloth cloud could have an erosion theme, as to what the rain may be doing to the mountain. Sounds like you have some good ideas. I wish I could find them. :D

Edited by Konnarock Kid & Marge

Current processes are the models used to explain how rocks form. That would be a good subject.

I've got a rain shadow EarthCache at Mt. San Jacinto in Southern California. I believe I used the concept at another one as well, but which one slips my mind.

Great - that's what I thought - but i wanted some input from you guys too.

Well that gives me some direction

Another question - what about an earthcache around solar radiation in the desert?

Thinking specifically about albedo on rocks and possibly some weathering related to arid areas?

Do you have any ideas for me?

I don't think the solar radiation or albedo fits. That is more of a climatology subject. Though climate is related to geology and various orbital cycles... An EarthCache on a polar orbit to measure the current tilt of the Earth's axis would be good. What would the coordinates be for that?

Weathering in arid areas fits nicely, ventifacts, aeolean transport, desert pavement, desert varnish, there are quite a few possibilities.