Anybody toyed with a 'journal' item?

Firemeboy

My Mad Trapper cartridge has a Field Message Pad where the player writes notes on what they found. But it is fixed info that gets written there. They can't write different notes.

Yeah, I'm not looking to have students write things and have Wherigo capture it, rather once they've triggered an event, something is placed in their journal that they can then go back and reference. I'll have to check out your cartridge.

A basic single page journal shouldn’t be difficult, just keep adding text to a string variable, either from a user input or fixed text messages in reaction to doing something. I’ve kind of done that in the past to display the characters the user has found when they arrive at a meeting place (too many characters to have proper characters at the meeting place, hence the text). Flipping through pages is much more of a challenge, but from what I’ve seen should be possible.

I do wonder how much could be stored in the memory and if it would be to the determent of the rest of the Wherigo. Some devices may struggle with lots of text. A clear button is probably essential for pages user can add text to.

A basic single page journal shouldn’t be difficult, just keep adding text to a string variable, either from a user input or fixed text messages in reaction to doing something. I’ve kind of done that in the past to display the characters the user has found when they arrive at a meeting place (too many characters to have proper characters at the meeting place, hence the text). Flipping through pages is much more of a challenge, but from what I’ve seen should be possible.

I do wonder how much could be stored in the memory and if it would be to the determent of the rest of the Wherigo. Some devices may struggle with lots of text. A clear button is probably essential for pages user can add text to.

I think the trick would be if you have a non-linear game, where you want paragraphs added only if the user has done something first, and only displays certain things if they've accomplished something.

I think the trick would be if you have a non-linear game, where you want paragraphs added only if the user has done something first, and only displays certain things if they've accomplished something.

You could accomplish that by a series of switches to tell you whether or not a particular message was written or not. They just use a series of If statements to decide whether you display a particular message or not.

In my case, as the game progresses, I write notes in the FMP and at the end they can "read" it to get all the codes they collected. Not very elaborate.