Oregon 400T reload

jerryleejr

I read a post that touched on wiping your Oregon 400t clean and installing the 24k Maps on the internal memory. I was wondering if anyone had tried this and to what success? I like the bigger internal memory of the 400T. I talked to Garmin because I found a 400c for less then even a 300 and was going to attempt to load my own maps but apparently the T is the one with the biggest internal memory. I would have thought from a manufacturing perspective a 400 would have been identical with the exception of what maps were pre-installed. Why bother messing with the size of the internal memory to just accommodate a certain map set, seems like alot of extra work.

JJ

I bought an 8 gig SanDisck card at Office Depot yesterday for $15. It does not make siense to remove the maps from internal memory. Buy a card and put the maps on the card.

I was under the impression that there was a 4GB limit to what can be used in the Oregon.

You are right about a 4GB limit, but it is not for the SD card size. The 4GB limit is on the file size for the map set file. You can use larger cards in the GPSr, but the maps file must be 4GB or less in size. There are some SD cards that the Garmin GPSr units don't seem to like, but in general you can use 8GB micro-SDHC cards in the Oregon units. I have one in mine.

As for our original question: I have not tried it with the Oregon 400t, but I had done it with my Colorado 300 last year. I removed the provided basemap file and replaced it with a set of maps covering the 6 states I am most likely to be in at any time. As long as you keep a backup copy of the pre-loaded map files, you should be able to test away and replace the originals if you don't like the results.

Edited by GeekBoy.from.Illinois

I bought an 8 gig SanDisck card at Office Depot yesterday for $15. It does not make siense to remove the maps from internal memory. Buy a card and put the maps on the card.

I was under the impression that there was a 4GB limit to what can be used in the Oregon.

You are right about a 4GB limit, but it is not for the SD card size. The 4GB limit is on the file size for the map set file. You can use larger cards in the GPSr, but the maps file must be 4GB or less in size. There are some SD cards that the Garmin GPSr units don't seem to like, but in general you can use 8GB micro-SDHC cards in the Oregon units. I have one in mine.

As for our original question: I have not tried it with the Oregon 400t, but I had done it with my Colorado 300 last year. I removed the provided basemap file and replaced it with a set of maps covering the 6 states I am most likely to be in at any time. As long as you keep a backup copy of the pre-loaded map files, you should be able to test away and replace the originals if you don't like the results.

Good to know, Since This will be my first GPS and I am not familiar with the set up. If I put two map sets on the SD card is there any special naming requirements or will they each have their own name and I just select which one I want to use say City navigator and 24K east when it becomes available?

JJ