IPV magnets - can you clear this up

SMN703

So I have found a couple of the IPV magnet caches... And I'd like to make some - hopefully someone else could help me figure this out.

I found the magnet sheets at an arts and crafts store. They had three kinds - one you painted on, one you could draw on, and one that had adhesive so you could take a piece of paper and stick it on.

1. Which of the three am I suppose to use?

2. If I do adhesive - and just put on a piece of paper then the weather would eventually damage the paper - so what are people printing on? Is there a special ink that withstands the elements?

3. OR are people buying the sticker (like the electrical box ones) that are already water proof and just sticking that on the magnent? If so - where are they getting them?

4. On the back - I've just seen like a plastic bag taped on the back with the log folded inside - is there another (better) way to do this or does that work just fine?

Thanks!!!

I started making this kind of cache after purchasing a couple of them on eBay. I got the magnet sheets with the adhesive. Then, I removed the adhesive. Then I removed the adhesive from the plastic number labels (purchased in aisle 17 of Lowes) and adhered the two adhesives together.

Works out pretty well, but is sort of hard to assemble without a couple of sticky mistakes...

Mac Hammer

Keep in mind the minimum requirements for a container AND a log. Your plastic bag with paper example is fine. A cache where people are asked to sign the back of the magnetic sheet would not knowingly be published.

Keystone, can you provide any insight as to why this decision was made? Aside from an extremely literal interpretation of the guidelines, it doesn't really make any sense to me, and I suspect that others may be curious as well.

Keep in mind the minimum requirements for a container AND a log. Your plastic bag with paper example is fine. A cache where people are asked to sign the back of the magnetic sheet would not knowingly be published.
Keystone, can you provide any insight as to why this decision was made? Aside from an extremely literal interpretation of the guidelines, it doesn't really make any sense to me, and I suspect that others may be curious as well.

I'm not Keystone, but he's given me full rights to answer on his behalf whenever he's busy. And by "full rights" I mean "no rights whatsoever".

But the decision was made for the same reasons that other non-container caches were nixed. Caches should be a container, and that container should contain a log book at the very least. Since the magnet with a log glued to the back isn't a container, it's not allowed.

I wouldn't call it "extremely literal", but it's the basic definition of a cache:

http://www.geocaching.com/about/cache_types.aspx

Traditional Cache

This is the original cache type consisting, at a bare minimum, a container and a log book. Normally you'll find a tupperware container, ammo box, or bucket filled with goodies, or smaller container ("micro cache") too small to contain items except for a log book. The coordinates listed on the traditional cache page are the exact location for the cache.

I wouldn't call it "extremely literal", but it's the basic definition of a cache:

http://www.geocaching.com/about/cache_types.aspx

Traditional Cache

This is the original cache type consisting, at a bare minimum, a container and a log book. Normally you'll find a tupperware container, ammo box, or bucket filled with goodies, or smaller container ("micro cache") too small to contain items except for a log book. The coordinates listed on the traditional cache page are the exact location for the cache.

As I pointed out in the other IPV thread, I'm not a huge fan of those caches anyway, so I'm not defending them.

But I would call that a pretty literal interpretation. I don't think there's much difference between a nano or bison tube that contains a paper log, and a sheet of magnetic vinyl that "contains" the log on the back.

Anyway, all I asked for was an explaination, and I guess I got one. Thanks.