I think I'm missing some basics here

scavok

I'm starting a cartridge but guess I don't understand some of the basics. I figured out pretty quick how to create zones, tasks, variables, and simple scripting ("set tasxX to completed when zone entered" type of things, and they work, but don't know how to set up the player.

I emulate the thing and NONE of the zones show up in the "locations." In trying to figure it out I created a start zone and made the cartridge begin within that zone, and when I emulated it, that start zone shows in the locations (whether I'm in the zone or not), but none of the other 4 are listed unless I'm standing in them. I've tried making them visible, invisible, active, inactive and every combination thereof. Why don't they show?

Thanks!

Hmm.. could be the distance. When you create a zone there is the option (upper right corner of the window) to set the distance and proximity. The default distance is 1500 feet. Therefore if you are not within 1500 feet of a zone it will not appear in 'Locations'. If you want a zone to always show up in locations (when the zone is set to visible of course) set the distance to -1.

Hope that helps, I'm pretty new to this stuff myself.

If I were Groundspeak I would be embarrased.

I started on my laptop, tried on my desktop, have RECREATED the cartridge 4 times now and haven't completed it once because of errors. I can't believe this thing. The first two times it errored out saying my command index was out of the array when I went to save it. Now these last two times I can work on it and save it, but it won't publish. It says "Error making the cartridge: Exception of type 'System.ApplicationException' was thrown."

Screen Shot: HERE

What the heck?

Edited by scavok

So i decided to continue to work on it and save it again and then it gave the error I received before and corrupted the file. I've donated 4 hours of my life to this thing :laughing:

See the end of this message for details on invoking 
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.IndexOutOfRangeException: Index was outside the bounds of the array.
  at ZonesAuthor.template20.wigParm.GetOptionalParm(wigParm parm)
  at ZonesAuthor.LuaOutput.BuildMessageBox(wigAction wigAction)
  at ZonesAuthor.LuaOutput.TranslateWigActionToLua(wigAction wigAction)
  at ZonesAuthor.LuaOutput.WriteFunctionBody(wigEvent we)
  at ZonesAuthor.LuaOutput.WriteData()
  at ZonesAuthor.frmMain.SaveCartridge()
  at ZonesAuthor.frmMain.menuSave_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
  at System.Windows.Forms.MenuItem.OnClick(EventArgs e)
  at System.Windows.Forms.MenuItem.ShortcutClick()
  at System.Windows.Forms.Menu.ProcessCmdKey(Message& msg, Keys keyData)
  at System.Windows.Forms.Form.ProcessCmdKey(Message& msg, Keys keyData)
  at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ProcessCmdKey(Message& msg, Keys keyData)
  at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ProcessCmdKey(Message& msg, Keys keyData)
  at System.Windows.Forms.Control.PreProcessMessage(Message& msg)
  at System.Windows.Forms.Control.PreProcessControlMessageInternal(Control target, Message& msg)
  at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.PreTranslateMessage(MSG& msg)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.1434 (REDBITS.050727-1400)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
WherigoBuilder
Assembly Version: 2.0.5129.5086
Win32 Version: 2.0.5129.5086
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Groundspeak/Wherigo/Builder/WherigoBuilder.exe
System.Windows.Forms
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Drawing
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System.Xml
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
ZonesFramework
Assembly Version: 1.0.2104.4260
Win32 Version: 1.0.2104.4260
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Groundspeak/Wherigo/Builder/ZonesFramework.DLL
Player
Assembly Version: 1.0.3072.27804
Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Groundspeak/Wherigo/Builder/Player.DLL
ZonesLinker
Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Groundspeak/Wherigo/Builder/ZonesLinker.DLL

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

Edited by scavok

OK, for anyone who has been following the thread, scavok, sent me a link to a zip file with the .lua file and media for his cartridge. I downloaded it, unzipped it and it published just fine to my machine.

I didn't see any problems with his code, and the fact that it ran just fine on my computer makes me think that this is a strange bug in the builder program.

I've gotten the same error message when building a cartridge for an event, never did figure out the cause, tried deleting the cartridge and starting over, but used the same folder and cartridge name, with the same result. I then just scrapped the whole folder and started over, with a different cartridge name and folder anme, but pretty much the same code and it published and ran just fine.

That's just strange, when I had the same problem, I didn't need to reinstall the builder. If I remember correctly from another thread, you are running Win Vista right? I ran yours juts fine on both a Vista (32 bit) and XP machine.

I've asked Ranger FOX to check the thread, he usually understands more, maybe he can shed some light on why this issue happened.

I honestly don't know if I needed to, but after the reinstall and reboot I used the same .lua still in the same folder and everything and had no problems. Definitely shows its a builder problem and not something that was exported in the cartridge.

I don't know how the back end of the builder works, but it seems like something in a memory cache is flawed. MickEMT was having errors linked to the folder name, and I had errors with ANY cartridge created in the folder. It may not have been the builder per-se, but some program cache that was flushed when I removed/rebooted/reinstalled. I am running vista, haven't tried on XP.