El Salvador

I'll post in English because this one goes out to any traveler-geocachers. I'm currently in San Salvador, and I couldn't believe that in all of El Salvador there's only 10 caches, and only two in the capital city. All of them (I think) have been placed by foreign cachers, so at least in half of them the last posts are DNFs and "I think it's gone" notes.

So here I am, wondering if it would be a good idea to place a cache tomorrow, either in the city or inbetween it and the airport (good 50 km stretch).

On one hand, this country desperately needs more caches.

On the other, it would be impossible for me to phisically give maintenance to this cache.

But how about virtually?? Meaning, if a DNF is reported, post a note requesting the next cacher to replace the cache and he/she can claim the find. Too much time passes? You disable the cache.

What do you think??

Saludos!

Gonini

:)

Ok, so, I did it...

The first think I thought was to create a Virtual, but I'm just learning right now that it's no longer possible to create virtuals (Why not????!!! What's with this "Waymarking" thing??? I want my virtuals baaaack!!!! :P ). I had taken the coords and everything... Oh well...

Good thing I ALSO hid a traditional cache on my way to the airport. VERY accessible and in a VERY evident place, so it's an EASY one (for a change among the El Salvador ones!!).

So I'm going to do the maintenance cooperation thing and see if it flies...

I'll let you know.

Gonini

:laughing:

I think its a good idea. It at least starts the craze going. Geocaches tend to grow in "clusters". There are tons and tons of caches in McAllen and very few in Brownsville even though there are only a few miles between the two! I think that increasing the amount of caches in an area naturally draws more caches there. So I am all for it!

In MTY we actually have more caches than in Mexico City! OUr proximity to the border allowed us to "import" this activity much quicker than other parts of Mexico. It all about location, location, location!

Edited by brodarte

Well, I received a note from the reviewer temporaly dissabling the cache. I didn't know, but a rule to place a cache is that you live nearby or that you can assign a SPECIFIC person that will give maintenance to your cache. So my "collective maintenance" plan goes against the rules... Which is very logical.

Oh well, El Salvador will have to wait until it has its own geocachers...

Saludos!

:D

Gonini: Are there any actual cachers living in El Salvador??!!....If so, they could help you provide maintenance to the cache you plan to hide. I did this in Michigan las December. I got in touch with Flip-Flops, geocacher in Grand Rapids, and I agreed with her to take care of a micro magnetic cache I wanted to hide there. I actually hid it, but unfortunately I hid it at night and I didn't see that, a few inches away from my cache, there was the final station of a multi cache, also a magnetic one. That turned out to be a long argument between the reviewer for Michigan and the owner of the other cache, so I had my, now fiance, remove the cache from spot.

Anyways, I am always looking for a way to hide an international cache and I also have a specific bag with Mexican goodies for those caches I found out of Mexiland.

Greetings and good luck with those international caches.

MERU

PS.....Hey, at least some Virtual caches should be back. There is a Mexican INEGI benchmark by my house and I would like to upload it as a virtual as we can not log our own benchmarks as they are......