60csx vibration shut off

Hi!

Recently, the unit shuts off much more frequently when encountering some vibration. I know that shut-off is a known issue, but what could be causing this new sensitivity? Also, is there a fix?

FYI - Yes, I did search forums for about a half hour, but have not had much luck. Please help or refer me!

Thanks, peepo! :)

- CSer :laughing:

Hi!

Recently, the unit shuts off much more frequently when encountering some vibration. I know that shut-off is a known issue, but what could be causing this new sensitivity? Also, is there a fix?

FYI - Yes, I did search forums for about a half hour, but have not had much luck. Please help or refer me!

The shutoff issue attributed to vibration was caused by the batteries loosing contact with the metal clips on each end of the battery compartment. The solution Garmin did was to place a very small square of foam on the underneath side of the metal contact clips. I believe the first 60s that came out some users did this on their units that did not have the foam, it is easy enough to see if your unit has it, they are little white square pieces, maybe 3/16" square. Another culprit can be the batteries themselves, not all batteries are the same length, we are talking small measurements here, but if you changed type of batteries the length could be just enough to cause the problem more frequently.

In either case the contacts are most likely the problem and the solution is to very very carefully bend the contacts to apply more pressure to the battery.

edit: it may help if you clean the metal contact with a Q-tip dipped in rubbing alcohol or contact cleaner and clean the ends of your batteries.

Edited by eaparks

Yea, well, I have eneloop batteries in there and I have adjusted the terminals. It has foam in there, but one side was kind of 'low' in the spring at the top. Still, seems like the batteries are pretty snug...

Anyway, other ideas?

You might double check to make sure the metal cover that slides toward the bottom of the unit to hold the memory card is locked in place. Seems like I vaguely remember someone complaining about unit powering up and shutting down and they didn't realize you slid the hinged metal cover to lock the memory card in place.

Hi!

Um.....I've never had my 60CSX shut off and its been through a lot of bumps, vibration, drops, etc. Sounds like maybe a loose connection??