What caching is about

I know we all play the game our own way but I came across this post from Dr Solly in another thread and thought it deserved a bit more prominence as a view (one I heartily agree with) of what caching is about it.

"It's about getting out in the open and walking round a forest on a lovely day, it's about getting stuck in a hole and having to wirk out a way to get out, it's about finding yourself on the tag end of a British Army training exercise in the middle of a forest and following the last soldier in the file, it's about solving a horribly difficult puzzle and finding the reward, it's about pushing yourself to do more than you thought you could, it's about losing weight that I don't need around my middle, it's about getting scratched and torn on brambles and gorse, it's about finding an amazing place that you would never have thought existed, it's about finding a cache disguised as something you wouldn't look at twice, it's about getting soaking wet and exhausted but still going on, it's about creeping through a wood at night following a trail of fire tacks, it's about getting down on the bank of a river and under a bridge and keeping perfectly quiet while a troop of muggles walks by overhead, it's about biking in Richmond Park at night and seeing several hundred deer, it's about finding a ridiculously small container in a crevice that you barely know is there, it's about getting back to the car and having hot coffee and a bun, it's about climbing a tree when you're of an age that you shouldn't be climbing trees, it's about devising a piece of Special Equipment that lets you retrieve a cache from a ridiculous place, it's about carrying a ladder through a forest so that you can get up an unclimbable (by me) tree, it's about getting half of the information you need to find a cache, but finding it anyway by using some good guessing and "cacher's eye", it's about finding a cache that you weren't actually looking for because you spotted something that looked like a hide, it's about getting a puzzle completely wrong, going to the wrong bridge, and finding a cache under it anyway, but not the one you were looking for, it's about gradually teasing out the solution to a puzzle without really understanding what the puzzle is about, it's about having "one more look before I gove up" and spotting something "not quite right"

So from now on instead of INATN it will have to be:

IagoitoawrafoaldiagsiahahtwoawtgoiafyotteoaBAteitmoafaftlsitfiasahdpaftriapytdmtytycialwtIdnammiagsatobagiafaaptywnhteiafacdasywlatiagswaebsgoiactawanfatoftiagdotboarauabakpqwatomwboiabiRPanasshdiafarsciactybkitiagbttcahhcaabiacatwyoaatysbctiadapoSEtlyracfarpiacaltafstycguaubmetiaghotiyntfacbfiabusggaceyeiafactywalfbysstllahiagapcwgttwbafacuiabntoywlfiagtotstapwruwtpiaiahomlbIguassnqr

Thanks Dr Solly for a great articulation of what is so good (IMHO) about caching and for 5 out of the 4,000 :P

Nice post.

One of the great things about geocaching is that it can be all of those things, or any few of those things, whatever you want your 'style' of hobby to be. Choose the elements that you, personally, like and just have fun.

MrsB ;)

Today, I tried to complete a series plus bonus, but just could not find one of the letters (muggled, maybe?). So I applied a bit of thought, and logic, and plotting on a map, and decided that I knew where it was, and walked a mile in the dark (and a mile back) to get it ...

You can probably see where this is going ....

Scroll down ....

YES!!! It was there!

And what a great feeling of triumph when that happens.