on road or off road

Ok IM knew to this geo-c in fact I dont even own a gps.. But last week I had to go out of town and I menttioned to my friend that i get lost and turnred around every time i go to this particular town. She loaned me her Garmin 260.. It worked great on the street got me exactly where i wanted to go AND back..

So since i got home a day early and I knew i wasn't going to see her for a day or two I decided to try Geo-c .

I found a couple caches and tried to find a few bench marks.. had great time took the five year old daughter and two year old son along and had great time...

returned the gps unit on sunday to owner.. Now I gotta get my own..

From what i have read you can buy an On road type gps like i was using last week.. I could buy an off road type the etrex family..

I prefer a hybrid say like a on/off road similar to a 4wd Cadillac escalde... all featurs to get you ther in style but rugged enough to go camping too..

any Suggetion as to what brand and model fits this discription?

Some of the more expensive Garmin Nuvis can do both, kind of, but the best way to do it is to have one for the car, and one for when you're on foot. There really isn't one that can do both well. I have 2 car units (Garmin Streetpilot c510 and Navigon 2100) and 2 handhelds (Garmin eTrex Legend HCx and DeLorme PN-40), works great. Use the car unit to navigate around, and the handheld to find the cache. The DeLorme can actually do OK with navigation, but since it doesn't really have a speaker, all you get are beeps to let you know a turn is coming up, and the screen is much smaller that an automotive unit. Look around for sales if money is the issue, I got my auto units for $75 each (Garmin from www.woot.com and the Navigon on clearance from Office Max's closing sale), and you can score a good handheld for a good price if you search around enough.

I have the Nuvi 500. It has all the features of the 260 plus the ability to go to walking mode. Also has a geocashing feature that allows you to download information from the website. A lot of people will tell you you need two units, but this is not true, my Nuvi 500 will gets me there every time. Two units might be better, but not necessary. I like the fact of having one unit and just removing it from the windshield, switch to walking mode, and start looking for the cashe.

I have the Nuvi 500. It has all the features of the 260 plus the ability to go to walking mode. Also has a geocashing feature that allows you to download information from the website. A lot of people will tell you you need two units, but this is not true, my Nuvi 500 will gets me there every time. Two units might be better, but not necessary. I like the fact of having one unit and just removing it from the windshield, switch to walking mode, and start looking for the cashe.

it depends what your main use will be. if you mostly want a gpsr for hiking, off-road, and caching; definintely get a handheld. you can still auto-route with many of them. they may not be voice activated but give you a visual and audio alert and the ;) maps can be very detailed. City Navigator No. America 2009 is awesome, especially in my Colorado. i actually have 2 handhelds. the other is a 60 CSx.

it depends what your main use will be. if you mostly want a gpsr for hiking, off-road, and caching; definintely get a handheld. you can still auto-route with many of them. they may not be voice activated but give you a visual and audio alert and the ;) maps can be very detailed. City Navigator No. America 2009 is awesome, especially in my Colorado. i actually have 2 handhelds. the other is a 60 CSx.

Edited by nefesh

I own a Nuvi 500 as well as Garmin 60CSx. They are different animals, but both will do the same things. The Nuvi is great as it comes with the topo map and the city navigator maps, but it always felt a little 'delicate' to me in the field, so I got the 60CSx.

I love the 60CSx, but I also have the additional topo and city navigator maps for it.

I think either unit would work, but I would say if you are going to be using it mostly in the car, get the Nuvi 500, if you are going to be doing more outside stuff with it, get the 60CSx when you can get it on sale at Amazon for $159. I think I paid $300 for the Nuvi 500..

Good luck with your choice!

One thing not discussed above is the paperless aspect of geocaching to which most are preferring nowadays. The DeLorme PN-20 and -40 are the only handheld GPSrs that provide a paperless caching experience right out of the box. As such, there is neither more hardware, such as a PDA, nor additonal software, such as Cachemate or GSAK to buy.

Like the Garmin Colorado, the nuvi 500 series takes the popular sport of geocaching seriously with many integrated geocaching features, including "paperless" geocaching. No need to scribble latitude/longitude coordinates of caches on scraps of paper. With the 500 series, you can simply download them from geocaching.com or any other source using the GPX standard. The nuvi 500 series is also equipped with features for playing the new Wherigo location based-adventures and games.