Garmin Nuvi 760

DOC-4x4Him

Well.... My wife got my the Garmin Nuvi 760 for Christmas. Very Cool! Anyone else have one? I am working my way around the features and can not for the life of me find out how to reset and start my tracking feature. I also don't know where to save the route.

Can anyone help me out with this?

Thanks,

DOC

Edited by DOC-4x4Him

Your tracks, or track log is called the Trip Log in a Garmin Nuvi. Go to: Tools>Settings>Map>Trip Log to toggle it showing on the map page. It will record even while toggled off. To Clear it, to go to: Tools>My Data.

In your Garmin, look for the file: current.gpx in the GPX folder. Drag this into Google Earth and you will see your Favorites and Trip Log (tracks.) On the left side of GE, open the folders of this file and you will see the track in segments. Each segment is when you turn off the unit, and turn it back on, as when you have it powered by your car and it powers up and off. Click on a blue "Active Log" and it will give you time, distance, elevation, etc.

If you want to do some more things like Geotag your photos, see the link in my signature line below.

EScout, is it possible to download tracks to a Nuvi supporting tracks? My MapSource reads my Nuvi (a 750) and successfully, so it says, sends tracks to it, but the tracks do not show on the Nuvi map screen. Any ideas? Should I rename the track to Active Log? Hymm, that just popped into my head - might that work?

Regarding downloading tracks:

There is no "track back" feature, so if you have a track in your Nuvi, you can only follow the line on the map screen. You can combine, delete or add tracks to your current.gpx file using the program: G7ToWin.

I believe that some Nuvi units allow you to save routes. For those, the best answer is to convert a track to a route and load it into the Nuvi, perhaps using Mapsource.