Double Check, Triple Check

andylphoto

I just caught a data sheet error resulting from a destroyed report that I had submitted last summer--quite by accident, actually. I had recovered the station, and found the monument struck by heavy equipment, leaning badly, and the top completely sheared off, and had submitted an email with photos to Deb. I had been checking the data sheet, waiting for it to be marked destroyed, and was actually about to send the email again.

In searching for the original email, it did not turn up in my sent items with a PID search, which was odd, because I always include the PID in the subject line. When I couldn't find it, I searched for Deb in the "To" field and it was then that I discovered the error.

I had accurately composed the email, including photos and all the correct information--PID, Designation, description... But when I put in the subject line, I typed the PID incorrectly. My primary search area is mostly "RK" PID marks, but this station is to the west, and was an "RL" mark. I had included the correct information in the body of the mail, but mistyped it in the subject line as RK rather than RL. Apparently, after checking the accuracy of the information, when it was declared destroyed, Deb glanced at the subject line to make the database entry.

I have emailed her about my error, but thought that I'd pass this along as another reminder that no matter how much you check for accuracy, it never hurts to check it again!