A few Mac/Noob questions

SD Marc

Hello,

First post. My name is Marc, I live in San Diego, CA.

I took advantage of the short-lived 60CSx sale on Amazon a week or so ago, after keeping an eye on them a while. I've downloaded all of Garmin's Mac software, and loaded it. I also have MacCaching. I'm awaiting delivery of my Topo DVD.

The Garmin software is working fine. I'm able to transfer info between my GPSr and Road Trip (and geocaching.com). So far so good. I haven't done any map uploading yet, so I'll have to see how that goes.

Mac questions first.

Should my GPSr show up on the desktop while it's plugged into the USB? The first time I plugged it in the icon showed up. Since then it has not. Does it matter either way?

Is Road Trip a replacement for the PC-only "Trip & Waypoint Manager" that came with the unit?

General Questions

Is there any reason to keep found caches in the GPSr? Or all the tracks the end up in there? Do people keep the cache info on a trip by trip basis?

I guess that's enough for now. Thanks. Pretty random, I know, sorry.

Mac questions first.

Should my GPSr show up on the desktop while it's plugged into the USB? The first time I plugged it in the icon showed up. Since then it has not. Does it matter either way?

In normal mode the icon should not show up on the desktop. Only in mass storage mode the inserted storage card should mount on the Mac OS desktop.

Is Road Trip a replacement for the PC-only "Trip & Waypoint Manager" that came with the unit?

yes - but not with all features.

On the Windows side you can update the "Trip & Waypoint Manager" to the nomal Mapsource program.

On the Mac side you have to use MapInstall for installing maps on the GPSR.

Regards

Anton

Edited by macnetz