Difference in Waypoints and coordinates?

spacejam1

Little confused about this. If I get it, a waypoint is just a set of numbers/letters that is given to a given coordinate for a cache. This is only helpful in finding the cache on the website. Is this right so far?

I am VERY new at this so I appreciate any help at all. I see that on some GPS units I can d/l the coordinates onto my GPS so I don't have to carry all this dadgum paper with me! lol So when I d/l the cache to my GPS, why does the waypoint d/l also? Is this just for my info? Do all I really need is the coordinates for the cache? Can anyone who is not a paying member of geocaching.com d/l several coordinates of caches?

Sorry for all the questions, I've been reading as much as I can. So thanks in advance for your help and have a great caching new year!

Rusty aka Spacejam1

The code starting with GC is just a sequential code - a reference for the site assigned by the system. The coordinates are entered by the cache owner and have nothign to do with it.

The best method to get multiple caches into your GPS is through the Pocket Queries available through a premium membership.

That is kinda what I thought but just wanted to make sure I was on the right track. Thanks! Still waiting for my Garmin to come in the mail that I got off of ebay, so I thought I might try to find 1-2 today with my "car" gps and some maps.