Garmin 400t - PC Connection Anomaly

2Wheel'in

I have an Oregon 400t that so far has operated flawlessly in each function; however, there is one situtation that is driving me nuts. When connected to my PC for upload/downloads the Windows "Auto Play" program initiates and runs before each and every action is completed. As an example, when attached as a Mass Storage Device the auto play program opens and the 400t is eventually listed as "Removable Drive J", right click on the drive to open it...BUT first the auto play re-opens and completes its cycle before the drop down menu will open for me to select "Open". Once I select the Open command...the auto play again opens and runs its cycle before the file opens...after it finally opens and I right click ot the GPX folder to open it, the auto play again runs and completes its cycle before the drop down menu is visible for me to click on open. In essence...the auto play program runs it's full cycle before any and all selected actions are completed.

The simple act of copying a .gpx file from a PQ to the 400t GPX folder can take as long as 30 minutes with all the delays incurred with the auto play progam iniatilizing, running, and closing. The same cyclic situation happens with MapSource waypoint/route/track transfers, and with downloading a cache directly from a cache page using the "Send to GPS" button. I don't know if this is a 400t or PC issue, or if it is an issue at all, but I find it hard to believe it is normal. Has anyone else experienced this situation, and if so - were you able to solve it, and how?

Bill

I have an Oregon 400t that so far has operated flawlessly in each function; however, there is one situtation that is driving me nuts. When connected to my PC for upload/downloads the Windows "Auto Play" program initiates and runs before each and every action is completed. As an example, when attached as a Mass Storage Device the auto play program opens and the 400t is eventually listed as "Removable Drive J", right click on the drive to open it...BUT first the auto play re-opens and completes its cycle before the drop down menu will open for me to select "Open". Once I select the Open command...the auto play again opens and runs its cycle before the file opens...after it finally opens and I right click ot the GPX folder to open it, the auto play again runs and completes its cycle before the drop down menu is visible for me to click on open. In essence...the auto play program runs it's full cycle before any and all selected actions are completed.

The simple act of copying a .gpx file from a PQ to the 400t GPX folder can take as long as 30 minutes with all the delays incurred with the auto play progam iniatilizing, running, and closing. The same cyclic situation happens with MapSource waypoint/route/track transfers, and with downloading a cache directly from a cache page using the "Send to GPS" button. I don't know if this is a 400t or PC issue, or if it is an issue at all, but I find it hard to believe it is normal. Has anyone else experienced this situation, and if so - were you able to solve it, and how?

Bill

I'm a Mac guy and don't have that problem. It seems to me that your PC thinks that the 400t is a DVD and is trying to play it. That's probably a setting on your computer and not a GPS problem.

I'm a Mac guy and don't have that problem. It seems to me that your PC thinks that the 400t is a DVD and is trying to play it. That's probably a setting on your computer and not a GPS problem.

Thank you for the reply. After many, many hours of trying this-n-that I found the solution. The 1Gb micro-SD card I installed must have had some sort of error on/in it. I removed the card and connected the 400t to the PC, the PC immediately recognized it as a mass storage device on Drive "J", no more annoying Autoplay routines slowing things down. I ejected the 400t, turned it off, installed a 2Gb micro-SD card (same manufacturer), and again connected the Oregon to the PC. Works like a charm, smooth as silk, fast as greased lightning. No Autoplay problems - I am a happy man ;)

Mod...you may close this topic if necessary, thanks.

Bill