base map on 60csx

rowntree

Hi everyone,

Has anyone had problems with the basemap on the 60csx? i have just bought one and the grid references are right for my home location but the basemap arrow is locating me at around 750m west of the proper location. Is there anyone else getting the same problem?

Edited by rowntree

Hi everyone,

Has anyone had problems with the basemap on the 60csx? i have just bought one and the grid references are right for my home location but the basemap arrow is locating me at around 750m west of the proper location. Is there anyone else getting the same problem?

I am still having trouble finding the street addresses that are suppose to be on Find. This is a new GPS and I am getting frustrated with it, without even using it. does it talk like the other ones? I would like to learn to use it for the road first, then I want to use it for geocaching. Make it simple for me.

No, the 60CSx does not talk. It has a very basic roadmap that has Interstates, US highways, etc, but that's it. If you want the addresses, etc, you need to buy the City Navigator maps (see the responses to your other thread about this). Once you get the City Navigator maps, you can use the 60CSx to route from point A to point B, search for addresses, search for points of interest, etc.

Hi grammatj8,

If you want something easy, take the 60CSx back and get yourself a Nuvi that already comes with the necessary detailed road maps and vehicle mounting bracket and talks to you and has a big bright touchscreen with an easy-to-use menu. It won't be as handy to carry around for geocaching but you'll have a fighting chance of getting used to using a GPS without the frustration. If you want to make sure you get a Nuvi model that will work okay for geocaching, there are many discussions about Nuvis in this forum that will help you decide which model might best suit your needs.

There's no easy way to learn how to use a GPS and set up a 60CSx with detailed maps for use on the road. It takes a little work, some more money for the right kind of maps and a proper vehicle mount and power cable, a lot of reading, some trial and error and time and patience. Trying to get the 60CSx set up for use in a vehicle will frustrate you ... is already frustrating you. Once you finally get it set up, trying to use it for vehicle navigation will frustrate you some more. If you know what you are doing, it can be used for vehicle navigation in a pinch, but it's called a "handheld" GPS for a very good reason.

I saw a Nuvi on a Boxing Day sale for Cdn$99. At the current exchange rate, I think that's about US$29.95. :rolleyes: You could just keep the 60CSx, buy the cheap Nuvi, get going on the road, then start using the 60CSx for geocaching when you're a little more familiar with GPS use.

...ken...

Edited by Ken in Regina

Hi grammatj8,

If you want something easy, take the 60CSx back and get yourself a Nuvi that already comes with the necessary detailed road maps and vehicle mounting bracket and talks to you and has a big bright touchscreen with an easy-to-use menu. It won't be as handy to carry around for geocaching but you'll have a fighting chance of getting used to using a GPS without the frustration. If you want to make sure you get a Nuvi model that will work okay for geocaching, there are many discussions about Nuvis in this forum that will help you decide which model might best suit your needs.

There's no easy way to learn how to use a GPS and set up a 60CSx with detailed maps for use on the road. It takes a little work, some more money for the right kind of maps and a proper vehicle mount and power cable, a lot of reading, some trial and error and time and patience. Trying to get the 60CSx set up for use in a vehicle will frustrate you ... is already frustrating you. Once you finally get it set up, trying to use it for vehicle navigation will frustrate you some more. If you know what you are doing, it can be used for vehicle navigation in a pinch, but it's called a "handheld" GPS for a very good reason.

I saw a Nuvi on a Boxing Day sale for Cdn$99. At the current exchange rate, I think that's about US$29.95. :blink: You could just keep the 60CSx, buy the cheap Nuvi, get going on the road, then start using the 60CSx for geocaching when you're a little more familiar with GPS use.

...ken...

Thanks for your help.