What to get a child? Advice please

laslow3

My 8-yr old son got into geocaching through his cub scout leader and shared his interest in it with me. He is much more experienced that I (40 finds to my puny 14), but we have only been doing it together for 2 weeks. Nonetheless it has been a great bonding experience and something that I am very eager to get more involved with.

Anyway, Christmas is in 5 days and I have already bought my son a GPSr (for both of us really) and bought him 3 travel bugs so he can make up his own quests. Then this evening, while we were searching for a cache we had great difficulty retrieving it until i pulled out some needle-nose pliers. This got me thinking. As an additional Christmas present, i thought I could build him a "Geocaching Kit."

So my question is this: What sorts of things would be useful to take along on a typical excursion? We live in a large city so most of our caching will be in urban areas. Thus tools like a machete or snakebite kits may not be helpful.

Thank You so much

My 8-yr old son got into geocaching through his cub scout leader and shared his interest in it with me. He is much more experienced that I (40 finds to my puny 14), but we have only been doing it together for 2 weeks. Nonetheless it has been a great bonding experience and something that I am very eager to get more involved with.

Anyway, Christmas is in 5 days and I have already bought my son a GPSr (for both of us really) and bought him 3 travel bugs so he can make up his own quests. Then this evening, while we were searching for a cache we had great difficulty retrieving it until i pulled out some needle-nose pliers. This got me thinking. As an additional Christmas present, i thought I could build him a "Geocaching Kit."

So my question is this: What sorts of things would be useful to take along on a typical excursion? We live in a large city so most of our caching will be in urban areas. Thus tools like a machete or snakebite kits may not be helpful.

Thank You so much

Some things I have found to be useful is a small flashlight, I carry a 3 watt led light, a leatherman tool, and a good pair of tweezers. Some people use a backpack but I keep a larger bag in the car full of swag and use a five dollar fanny pack from Walmart to carry my caching tools and a small assortment of swag with me. You will probably think of other things as you do more caches.

Thank You so much

Frog says:

We're new too. We found some good trade items for kids at Party City.

Most of the stuff I carry has already been mentioned by others. Some other great things to add to your caching kit include:

extra pencil and/or pen

bandages :shocked:

empty ziploc baggies of various sizes to replace ripped ones in the cache

spare log book to replace full/wet log in the cache

batteries!!!

For those excursions out in the wilderness, I always keep a spare set of clothes waiting for me in the car, just in case the 'may require wading' attribute understated the situation! :shocked:

I haven't done this yet myself, but plan to do it soon: buy a roll of small labels and print your caching name and/or an icon on them with a blank for the date. Then you can just write the date on the label and stick it on the log page. Its easier than trying to write on a damp micro-log!

Well we have been caching for a little while now and have found a backpack is great to carry swag in along with some bug spray and bottled water for the hike. Also rechargable battery set is a good idea. some other things might include flashlight and a dental mirror on like a long handle, pencil sharpener have all been used on our journey. Enjoy the time it's great to see ya doing this with your son !! Also just thought a simple/basic first aid kit wouldn't be a bad idea either.

Edited by ourfamluvscaching