Garmin Legend HCX or DeLorme PN-20

moose drool

Brutally honest? I don't have a clue what archers find valuable in a hand held device. Perhaps

you could share a little more of what your expectations are. The more we know, the more we

may be able to appraise you of what may "fill the bill".

Norm

Same as any hunter.......

One that works well under cover :laughing:

Here's my compro of the two, I've owned them both:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=204371

I have a friend who hunts, and a handheld sounds like it can really come in handy. Mark your vehicle or campsite so you can get back to them easily, and if you load up topo maps, it's much easier to preplan you hunting route. My friend actually just bought a Garmin Rino 530 HCx, it's pretty much an etrex Vista/2 way radio rolled into one, great if you are hunting with other people and they have the Rino also. You can talk on the radio, send coordinates for where you are, lots of stuff. But it's a pretty spendy unit, also.

For you, between the Legend HCx and the DeLorme PN-20, I think I'd go DeLorme because they are about the same cost, but the -20 comes with full topo maps, and you have to buy those for the Garmin. I never used mine under heavy tree cover, but it seemed to work fine under light cover. The estimated accuracy would get bigger under cover, but it would still take me right to the cache I was looking for, so it seemed fine. You could always spend a little more and get the PN-40, amazon.com has them for $290 now (just ordered mine last night :laughing: ), and I hear that chip works even better.