Caching the Appalachian Trail (well sort of...)

pafarmboy

I am planning on beginning section-hiking the AT this summer. The goal is to start at Springer Mountain and hike those beautiful white blazes for 3 weeks and pull out at Fontana Dam. Hopefully in 2010, start at Fontana Dam for another 3-4 weeks, pull out at ???? Bout 12 years from now, I'll be done! Yeehaw!

I know that their is a no geocaching policy on the AT, but I was wondering if anyone had a PQ (or if they know of a program to run a 'route' PQ) looking for caches within .5 miles of the trail.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also, just out of curiousity, are there any 2000 milers or thru-hikers of the AT that geocache as well? Would love to hear your stories......

PAFARMBOY

Please be mindful of the terms of use for pocket queries before asking if "anyone had a PQ." For route queries, you can search for shared routes using a keyword like "Appalachian" and then run your own query on the desired route.

Also, posting information about caches that can be accessed from the AT puts all those caches in danger of being archived. The National Park Service in September asked for the immediate archival of dozens of caches along the AT corridor, including many that are clearly on state lands where geocaching is allowed. It would be nice to avoid Round Two.

Please be mindful of the terms of use for pocket queries before asking if "anyone had a PQ." For route queries, you can search for shared routes using a keyword like "Appalachian" and then run your own query on the desired route.

Also, posting information about caches that can be accessed from the AT puts all those caches in danger of being archived. The National Park Service in September asked for the immediate archival of dozens of caches along the AT corridor, including many that are clearly on state lands where geocaching is allowed. It would be nice to avoid Round Two.

OK, so that policy is the one that won't let a PM run PQs ad them give away the info, right?

It would bo ok to share with another PM what paramaters to set for the search to get the info you want. right?