Night caching

Gorge_Hiker

I am interested in placing my first night cache. Maybe this isn't the best idea, (my personal idea I think is great) because I have never even been on a night cache of someone elses. I have a basic idea, but im not sure how im going to make it work.

The location is a soccer field/jogging track in the back of an elementary school (figured it will be OK since it is a night cache). I want people to be able to follow reflectors? around to draw a design on their GPS. Also, it directs them to the final location at the end of their little walk. There aren't a lot of trees to tie reflectors etc to, so I thought of putting down rocks with reflector paint, but don't want their lawnmowers to get wrecked. They don't mow 12 months out of the year tho. Can you guys share some of your night cache experiences and maybe give some hints on this one I want to place. Thanks!

...a school is the worst location you could choose.

I don't know about "worst", but I agree. Night cache or not, getting it approved when it is hidden near a school is not likely to happen. People poking around behind a school in the dark is likely to attract the wrong sort of attention.

As a former principal... I would stay away from using schools without express permission. Since Columbine and 911, the rules for schools are different now. Anything outside the ordinary causes major implications. People stalking around at night will garner some attention.

That being said, if you contacted the school and introduced them to geocaching and that you might be interested in sponsoring a club or community awareness training to promote kids getting outside; I know many a principal who would be all over that. Principals just don't like not knowing what's going on