My Mistake?

kewfriend

FewKinder and myself are just back from caching in the New Forest: good experience by the way.

At the Rufus Stone cache we ran into some newbies: mum, dad and five (yes five) children. Together we all found the cache and since the little one found the cache first we insisted the family have the geocoin in the cache. They were local cachers out for 'half-term' fun - just five miles or so away as it happens.

The problem is this. Now a week later that we are back I checked to see not just that they had logged the cache and had a good time (NO they hadnt logged the cache), but more importantly they had not logged the geocoin - and I did explain the purpose of all the little numbers etc etc. I have emailed the coin owner, but I feel guilty that inadvertently I may have effectively trashed their geocoin by insisting the newbies dealt with it.

Now here's the stupid bit: I didnt get their caching name but I think they had at least two names between them, but they may never have logged a cache. The only hope is that I did make them sign the log and explain it as part of the process.

Aaaarggh! :):ph34r::ph34r:

Earlier this year I was looking for a cache at a church in Germany and one of the younger church members, a boy of about 14 or so, helped me not to find it (it had been muggled and he was able to show me where it should be). He explained that he was a cacher too. I handed him a TB which I'd been meaning to place in the cache.

That was over 6 months ago. Since then he hasn't logged the TB and I've ended up marking it as missing. I mailed him a couple of times through his profile but have had no answer. Disappointing (especially from someone who's marked up his profile with how committed to Jesus he is). I've apologises profusely to the TB owner.

<snip>Disappointing (especially from someone who's marked up his profile with how committed to Jesus he is).

Sad to say that I'm never surprised by that sort of attitude from that sort of person. :)

I'm sorry, what? Where did that come from? I thought this was a forum about geocaching?

Back to topic... I've had a similar experience, but at the end of the day you can't be responsible for someone else's actions. You acted in good faith kewfriend (no pun intendeded), it's just one of those things. You could perhaps try adding a note to the cache to see if someone could look up their name from the logbook.

<snip>Disappointing (especially from someone who's marked up his profile with how committed to Jesus he is).

Sad to say that I'm never surprised by that sort of attitude from that sort of person. :)

I'm sorry, what? Where did that come from? I thought this was a forum about geocaching?

Back to topic... I've had a similar experience, but at the end of the day you can't be responsible for someone else's actions. You acted in good faith kewfriend (no pun intendeded), it's just one of those things. You could perhaps try adding a note to the cache to see if someone could look up their name from the logbook.

It came from someone's post that I quoted. You can see it too if you look. :)

It came from someone's post that I quoted. You can see it too if you look. :lol:

Thanks, but that's not really what I meant! :)

I meant where did the criticism come from, it just felt a bit uncalled for (IMHO). Never mind - the moment has passed. Really not worth worrying about :lol:

Time to go and find some plastic boxes... :lol:

Late to the party, but I have to agree with housefamily (Geoff to his friends) - Being committed to Jesus has nothing to do with being committed to moving TBs on. It's about believing in stuff, and you know, God-type things. Being a good Christian and a good Cacher aren't mutually the same thing, even with the same initial letter. They're not mutually exclusive either, or I as a antitheist would never have a DNF. I think the real problem is the lad is/was 14, and therefor less at God's mercy, and more at the mercy of his hormones.

Back on topic, you did your best KF. If your help and advice is ignored and not followed, you carry no blame. Some you win... I hope the coin gets logged as well as the cache, so you can put this down as a win.

Edited to spell antitheist correctly. I before E except after C does not apply.

Edited by Simply Paul