Garmin GPS Recommendations?

missmousie

We started in the sport quite recently, with an ancient (circa 1998) Magellan Blazer 12 that I purchased for my dad (and which he never figured out anyway :yikes: ) The Blazer 12 doesn't really do more than point you in the (sort-of) right direction, given that it has only two decimal places and no WAAS. We've been semi-successful using this, really relying more on the logs, the photos, and the satellite mapping courtesy of Google to find caches. Not really as much fun.

So, I am quite willing to take on a new unit, though I'd like to pay as little as possible, given the economic situation ... I am looking at a new Garmin eTrex Venture HC. Can anyone give me an opinion on this unit, given that we'd only be using it for geocaching (no marine use, little driving use) and that largely in a semi-urban or urban environment. It's selling for about $200.00 Canadian (about $170.00 US, which I believe is Garmin's recommended retail.)

Thanks in advance!

We started in the sport quite recently, with an ancient (circa 1998) Magellan Blazer 12 that I purchased for my dad (and which he never figured out anyway :yikes: ) The Blazer 12 doesn't really do more than point you in the (sort-of) right direction, given that it has only two decimal places and no WAAS. We've been semi-successful using this, really relying more on the logs, the photos, and the satellite mapping courtesy of Google to find caches. Not really as much fun.

So, I am quite willing to take on a new unit, though I'd like to pay as little as possible, given the economic situation ... I am looking at a new Garmin eTrex Venture HC. Can anyone give me an opinion on this unit, given that we'd only be using it for geocaching (no marine use, little driving use) and that largely in a semi-urban or urban environment. It's selling for about $200.00 Canadian (about $170.00 US, which I believe is Garmin's recommended retail.)

Thanks in advance!

After waiting about a year I just picked up a Garmin Legend CX from amazon.com, I love the thing, USB connection, color screen and all sorts of features I'll probably learn to use someday LOL. Pretty easy to get going right out of the box. I see them listed $129-139 with free shipping so it's a pretty good deal.

Thanks in advance!

After waiting about a year I just picked up a Garmin Legend CX from amazon.com, I love the thing, USB connection, color screen and all sorts of features I'll probably learn to use someday LOL. Pretty easy to get going right out of the box. I see them listed $129-139 with free shipping so it's a pretty good deal.

I would definately go with the "H" series though as it has the new updated chip for better satellite signal..

We started in the sport quite recently, with an ancient (circa 1998) Magellan Blazer 12 that I purchased for my dad (and which he never figured out anyway :) ) The Blazer 12 doesn't really do more than point you in the (sort-of) right direction, given that it has only two decimal places and no WAAS. We've been semi-successful using this, really relying more on the logs, the photos, and the satellite mapping courtesy of Google to find caches. Not really as much fun.

Thanks in advance!

I would definately go with the "H" series though as it has the new updated chip for better satellite signal..

Yeah, I'd say if you have the money go for it. I opted to go for the lower cost one as it is my first GPS and it's been fine for my needs so far, but as always don't skimp on the GPS if you can afford the better model. I was originally shopping for the Garmin Legend which is even lower cost than mine, but the non-USB interface would've made it hard to interface with my laptop.

We started in the sport quite recently, with an ancient (circa 1998) Magellan Blazer 12 that I purchased for my dad (and which he never figured out anyway :) ) The Blazer 12 doesn't really do more than point you in the (sort-of) right direction, given that it has only two decimal places and no WAAS. We've been semi-successful using this, really relying more on the logs, the photos, and the satellite mapping courtesy of Google to find caches. Not really as much fun.

Thanks in advance!

Yeah, I'd say if you have the money go for it. I opted to go for the lower cost one as it is my first GPS and it's been fine for my needs so far, but as always don't skimp on the GPS if you can afford the better model. I was originally shopping for the Garmin Legend which is even lower cost than mine, but the non-USB interface would've made it hard to interface with my laptop.

The chipset in the Garmin 60 Cx or 60 CSx is different than, but equally good, to the one in the H series. The 60 "x" series models use the SiRFSTARIII

Perhaps the 60 CSx/Cx models are "better" recently, considering all the problems the folks with the H models have had and all the new software updates they've needed for the H models.

I'll echo what sportside said. I also have the Venture HC and I love it! It does everything I need it to do for geocaching, doesn't have a lot of "gee whiz" stuff that I don't need, is reliable, small, light, and rugged. I spent $127/free shipping for mine in early September and so far I've been very glad I got it :)