Max number of Caches in an Explorist 400?

Woodstramp

You can have up to 200 caches in a geocaching format file (was that .gs? It's been a little while) or 500 caches in a regular waypoint file. However, you can have as many files as you want on SD or internal memory; you just have to swap them into active memory...so you can have a gajillion if you want.

When I was using my 500, I used a GSAK macro to divide my database of unfound caches into a half-dozen .gs files that contained groups of 150 or so caches geographically centered on points comprising a circle around my home base. It took a little while to set up, but took only a single mouse-click to crank out a new set.

What Embra said. Also,

Remember, all data is moved in the form of files, making the Explorist different than most other GPSrs. You have to use a program to create a Geocache or POI file, and GSAK is one of the best.

You can have one Geocache file of 200 and one POI file of 500 "active" or showing on the map. However, you can store unlimited numbers of these files on either of two locations, or "drives": internal memory or SD card. You can also access any file on any drive even if that file is not currently active. This means that you can access any Geocache file, and use a "nearest to" function to find caches in that file, in any folder in any drive.

You can have up to 200 caches in a geocaching format file (was that .gs? It's been a little while) or 500 caches in a regular waypoint file. However, you can have as many files as you want on SD or internal memory; you just have to swap them into active memory...so you can have a gajillion if you want.

When I was using my 500, I used a GSAK macro to divide my database of unfound caches into a half-dozen .gs files that contained groups of 150 or so caches geographically centered on points comprising a circle around my home base. It took a little while to set up, but took only a single mouse-click to crank out a new set.

Embra,

Thanks for the reply. Sounds like I'll just load up the spare room in the SD.

I just successfully used GSAK for the first time yesterday. It was to use Pilotsnipes tutorial on loading PQ's to paperless cache on my new Nuvi. His detailed "OK, Dummie...push this button...now that button.." instructions got me there. :rolleyes:

I'd tried GSAK several months ago with my Explorist but I could never get it to work. It's a bit overwhelming without Pilotsnipe type instructions for me. I can do .LOC files using Magellan's Geocaching software, but I've no idea on how to get the .GPX files I loaded into GSAK into the explorist's SD. I can see them on the GSAK page, but pages pop up when I try to export to GPS. The pages ask stuff I have no idea on how to answer.

What Embra said. Also,

Remember, all data is moved in the form of files, making the Explorist different than most other GPSrs. You have to use a program to create a Geocache or POI file, and GSAK is one of the best.

You can have one Geocache file of 200 and one POI file of 500 "active" or showing on the map. However, you can store unlimited numbers of these files on either of two locations, or "drives": internal memory or SD card. You can also access any file on any drive even if that file is not currently active. This means that you can access any Geocache file, and use a "nearest to" function to find caches in that file, in any folder in any drive.

(Here's my thread....found it)

Escout, we must've posted over each other...I only saw Embra's reply when I replied. Thanks for the the addional info. 200 at a time is probably overkill for my exploits.

Now my main trouble is I can't seem to figure out is how to export a load of caches from GSAK into my Explorist. I can load the Explorist with Magellan's Geocaching software and using EasyGPS. No problem. I can even load load my new Garmin Nuvi with no trouble using GSAK (thanks to Pilotsnipes' tutorial). Been struggling with this GSAK/Explorist problem for several months.

Now my main trouble is I can't seem to figure out is how to export a load of caches from GSAK into my Explorist. I can load the Explorist with Magellan's Geocaching software and using EasyGPS. No problem. I can even load load my new Garmin Nuvi with no trouble using GSAK (thanks to Pilotsnipes' tutorial). Been struggling with this GSAK/Explorist problem for several months.

Attach the eXplorist USB cable and plug it into your computer. Turn on. The eXplorist screen will ask you which mode you would like to use. Select File Transfer.

The eXplorist will now appear as a removable disk (E:, for example) on your computer.

GPS=>Export to Magellan explorist. Make sure the "Required format" is Explorist Geocaches. In the "file to create" box, enter location where you want to save the eXplorist geocaching file. Navigate to E:/Geocaches and save the file there.

Unplug the eXplorist and turn it on Click Menu, pts of Interest, Geocache Pts.

Edited by ClydeE

Attach the eXplorist USB cable and plug it into your computer. Turn on. The eXplorist screen will ask you which mode you would like to use. Select File Transfer.

The eXplorist will now appear as a removable disk (E:, for example) on your computer.

GPS=>Export to Magellan explorist. Make sure the "Required format" is Explorist Geocaches. In the "file to create" box, enter location where you want to save the eXplorist geocaching file. Navigate to E:/Geocaches and save the file there.

Unplug the eXplorist and turn it on Click Menu, pts of Interest, Geocache Pts.

Clyde,

Thanks for the pointers. Cut-n-copied your instructions. Will try it when I get time. I'm still learning to juggle the Pocket Queries thing.

I've had GSAK for several months but really haven't used it until I got the Nuvi just recently. I think the thing that messed me up before is the USB checkbox vacates when I select "Magellan". It's there when "Garmin" is selected. My Explorist is loaded with a USB connection. I was scared to mess with all that other stuff in the boxes below. Thought I might rupture my 400 or something.

I also now see what a "nag" screen is....I'm up to 94 seconds :D

I'll remedy that when the little woman says I can spend "More GPS money?'. ;)

My memory is a little fuzzy on the matter, but it sounds like you may have been using the "Magellan" export option as opposed to the Magellan eXplorist" option--they are two different animals. Clyde's directions should get you pointed to the right branch of the export tree.

My memory is a little fuzzy on the matter, but it sounds like you may have been using the "Magellan" export option as opposed to the Magellan eXplorist" option--they are two different animals. Clyde's directions should get you pointed to the right branch of the export tree.

Embra,

Now the only hold up is that I can figure out the Pocket Query thing. I already did a couple for the Nuvi. Those had 500....too big to try to cram in the Explorist.....so last night I try to make one with only 200 to try Clyde's instructions......click this box, unclick that one, start over 14 times. :) .....couldn't get one to generate or send an email with a loaded zip. Soon as I whoop that PQ alligator I'll try it.

If you still have your Nuvi PQ--and it met your criteria other than having too many caches--you can just change the number to return to 200 from 500 near the top of the query.

One thing to look for if you're getting nothing in the preview is to check for mutually exclusive criteria (e.g., telling the query to look for caches you have both found and not found).

Also, if you're running your PQ into GSAK, you can take all 500 into your database but narrow down the export from GSAK to 200 in that program.

If you still have your Nuvi PQ--and it met your criteria other than having too many caches--you can just change the number to return to 200 from 500 near the top of the query.

One thing to look for if you're getting nothing in the preview is to check for mutually exclusive criteria (e.g., telling the query to look for caches you have both found and not found).

Also, if you're running your PQ into GSAK, you can take all 500 into your database but narrow down the export from GSAK to 200 in that program.

Thought about that too, but (I'm embarrassed to say) I can't even figure out how to cull caches in GSAK. After an hour of attempting that action all I had left was caches I'd already found. :)

Got so frustrated that I decided to run another PQ with only 200. The previous post of mine tells how that went. I forgot to mention that I did manage to generate on out of the 14 tries......guess what? A PQ with all my finds! :santa:

BTW, I'm not trying to run down GSAK or whatever. There seems to be hundreds of folks here who can wangle through the proper steps. Guess my brain isn't wired like a programmer's. I will keep poking at until success is located.