Rejoining a custom route on a Garmin 60Csx

muchado

This summer, I went on a family trip from NH to Hershey, PA. Neither the shortest nor fastest routes that my GPSr calculated was actually the best route. Mainly, I wanted to avoid some of the busiest roadways around NYC and CT. So, I used Mapsouce and created my preferred route using strategically placed waypoints to force the route to follow the roads I wanted to take. So far, so good.

I then exported the routes and created a couple pocket queries for caches along the route. So far, so good.

When it came to the trip, I downloaded the Mapsource routes and the caches along the route to my GPS. So far so good.

Because of weather and general traffic irritation, I did not do any caching on the trip out. So far so good.

On our return home, I did do a some caching during the drive. Our first stop was Cabella's in PA. I found three caches there using my GPSr.

When it came time to get back on the road, I wanted to get back on my custom route. This is where things went bad for me. When I tried to tell it to follow the route, I expected it to be smart enough to just rejoin the route at the closest point. But, it was sending me back to the starting point - a couple hundred miles back. I fiddled with it (I don't remember exactly what I did) and finally convinced it to head me towards home. I didn't realize until it was too late that it had just reverted to the "fastest route" which brought me right through NYC and some horrible traffic all the way through CT. Worse, since I was off my planned route, I had no caches in my GPSr where I was traveling and missed the opportunity to add NY and CT to the list of states I have found a cache in.

So, is there any way to re-join a custom route in the middle of the route?

is there any way to re-join a custom route in the middle of the route?
This has been a pet peeve of mine for years. I’ve never heard of a good solution for it, but on a hit-and-miss basis, I’ve had some success with workarounds. I just don’t pick up a route in the middle often enough to positively figure out what works and what doesn’t. I know for sure that just requesting a recalculation doesn’t, if you’re not on the route.

My recollection is that if I can get myself back onto the route and start driving it in the direction I want to go, the unit usually will recognize what’s going on and start giving me directions, times and distances toward my destination. I’m not sure that works 100% of the time. In cases where it didn’t, it might help to request a recalculation of the route, but I’m not sure.

Even if it did, you still have to get yourself back to the route in the first place. That might be simple in some cases, but if you’re very far off it, you might like some navigation help. If you have a waypoint near the route, you can do a Go To to that waypoint, then activate the route; but if all you have in the route are map vias (the points created by dragging and dropping the route in MapSource), I don’t think you can select them for a Go To.

I suppose in that case, you could activate the route so you can see it on the map, then scroll the cursor over to the route and mark a waypoint close enough that from it you could easily get yourself back on the route. Then do a Go To to that waypoint, and when you get there activate the route. In theory, you could also edit the route to make that waypoint the start of the route, but that’s too much fiddling for me in the middle of a trip.

It’s a pain, and I think the way it works is stupid. Amazingly, I’ve had people argue that the way it works is the only thing that makes sense, and “why would you want to follow a route from anything but the beginning.” Your case beautifully illustrates why.

I suppose in that case, you could activate the route so you can see it on the map, then scroll the cursor over to the route and mark a waypoint close enough that from it you could easily get yourself back on the route. Then do a Go To to that waypoint, and when you get there activate the route. In theory, you could also edit the route to make that waypoint the start of the route, but that’s too much fiddling for me in the middle of a trip.

This is exactly what I was planning to try next if I didn't get any definitive answers from this forum. If this, in fact, works, then I could live with that. But, like you said, it is hardly the optimal way of doing things.

I can't see any way to avoid this problem if you're trying to cache along a specific route unless you have two separate GPSr - one for the route and one for the caches.

Thanks for the info.

When you are on the route push "menu" and then "stop navigation".

Go to routes then click on the route you want.

That will bring up your route and the list of way points you have listed.

Delete the starting point and any other points that you don't want to go to.

Then navigate the new route.