Error Reading Cartridge

Twiddleflip

I don't know if anybody else has had this problem. I searched through the forum and didn't get any hits.

When I attempt to open a cartridge that was developed on another machines, I receive the "Error Reading Cartridge" error.

I have the same version of the Wherigo builder (2.0.5129.5086) installed on three computers. One of the cartridges, perhaps more, that I have developed can be loaded on two of the three machines. The most significant difference with the machines is the operating system. On the two machines that work properly I am running Windows XP Professional and Windows Vista Home Premium (32 bit version). The other machine is running Windows Vista Home Premium (64 bit version). I am planning on developing a couple of new cartridges, but I am more than a little hesitant until I can get this problem resolved.

Any help would be appreciated.

I just check and found that I receive the same error message on the Windows Vista Home Premium (64 bit version) when I created a new cartridge and tried to re-open it from the same machine. Is it possible the builder is not compatible with the 64 bit version of Windows?

post-1316195-1222317485.jpg

Edited by Twiddleflip

I have exactly the same problems with Vista Ultimate 64bit version. But try as a mite, I can't get round the problem.

I had a very similar problem with XP initially but I discoverd installing Windows Installer 3.1, DotNet 2.0 and then DotNet 2.0 service pack 1 seemed to do the job. Unfortunately DotNet 2.0 isn't Vista Friendly. I've tried DotNet 3.5 and the DotNet 3.5 service pack but not joy.

The only 'solution' I've come up with is to run XP as a virtual machine (VMWare) in my Vista operating system. Not great, but better than nothing.

I can also confirm that Vista 32bit home and profesional seems to be work fine.

From other comments, it definitially seems to be something to do with the ZoneEngineDll, probably using something in DotNet 2.0 that just isn't 64bit friendly. In theory going back to an older version of the Dll may get round the issue, but I think I will stick with the virtual machine for now.

"System.BadImageFormatException" ... I don't think you're using anything but small JPEG and GIF (single frame) images, right? It says it has something to do with an image you're using for a zone. That's about all I can guess without seeing anything. Yet you can also view all images in a picture viewer in Vista, right?

"System.BadImageFormatException" ... I don't think you're using anything but small JPEG and GIF (single frame) images, right? It says it has something to do with an image you're using for a zone. That's about all I can guess without seeing anything. Yet you can also view all images in a picture viewer in Vista, right?

In my case if I create a brand new cartridge, just giving it a name and a starting location, save it and then reopen it, I get the error:

post-1410019-1222881372.jpg

Looking through the newly created .lua file (below), I see no other references to pictures.

I'm running PaintshopPro on my machine which which views pictures fine. For OLE management, Paintshop pro is also the viewer/editor in things like wordpad.

--------------- newtest.lua -------------------

require "Wherigo"

ZonePoint = Wherigo.ZonePoint

Distance = Wherigo.Distance

Player = Wherigo.Player

-- #Author Directives Go Here# --

-- #End Author Directives# --

cartNewTest = Wherigo.ZCartridge()

-- MessageBox Callback Functions Table used by the Builder --

cartNewTest.MsgBoxCBFuncs = {}

-- Cartridge Info --

cartNewTest.Id="18df7a3e-ba38-49b5-a59f-684162295bc0"

cartNewTest.Name="NewTest"

cartNewTest.Description=[[]]

cartNewTest.Visible=true

cartNewTest.Activity="TourGuide"

cartNewTest.StartingLocationDescription=[[]]

cartNewTest.StartingLocation = ZonePoint(41.674498,-72.94619,0)

cartNewTest.Version=""

cartNewTest.Company=""

cartNewTest.Author=""

cartNewTest.BuilderVersion="2.0.5129.5086"

cartNewTest.CreateDate="10/1/2008 5:49:56 PM"

cartNewTest.PublishDate="1/1/0001 12:00:00 AM"

cartNewTest.UpdateDate="10/1/2008 5:50:27 PM"

cartNewTest.LastPlayedDate="1/1/0001 12:00:00 AM"

cartNewTest.TargetDevice="PocketPC"

cartNewTest.TargetDeviceVersion="0"

cartNewTest.StateId="1"

cartNewTest.CountryId="2"

cartNewTest.Complete=false

cartNewTest.UseLogging=false

-- Zones --

-- Characters --

-- Items --

-- Tasks --

-- Cartridge Variables --

-- Builder Variables (to be read by the builder only) --

buildervar = {}

-- ZTimers --

-- Inputs --

--

-- Events/Conditions/Actions --

--

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

------Builder Generated functions, Do not Edit, this will be overwritten------

------End Builder Generated functions, Do not Edit, this will be overwritten------

------Builder Generated callbacks, Do not Edit, this will be overwritten------

--#LASTCALLBACKKEY=0#--

------End Builder Generated callbacks, Do not Edit, this will be overwritten------

-- #Author Functions Go Here# --

-- #End Author Functions# --

-- Nothing after this line --

return cartNewTest

Loved the Wherigo\\kit that Ranger Fox put out. Easy for a basic Wherigo. But I want to build it more complex. I also get the same messages when using Wherigo.com builder. I get into the program a ways and save from time to time, but when I quit and try to load a saved file later I get the same screen shot poster put up and I have not put any pictures in to the program yet.

Loved the Wherigo\\kit that Ranger Fox put out. Easy for a basic Wherigo. But I want to build it more complex. I also get the same messages when using Wherigo.com builder. I get into the program a ways and save from time to time, but when I quit and try to load a saved file later I get the same screen shot poster put up and I have not put any pictures in to the program yet.

I recently addressed a problem on Kit. If you exported your cartridge on or before the 19th of this month, please export it again. Once you open the file in Groundspeak's builder, save it, then go to the recent file list in the file menu and reopen the cartridge. If it reopens without a problem, you're set. Also, do make sure you have installed that patch I linked to in my last post. I do so wish Groundspeak would do something about it, but the fact of the matter is no one there has their computer set up to compile their source code. Now, sometimes it could be as simple as getting the source code copied to their computer and compiling it, but it's been my experience that it sometimes takes several hours to figure out how the other person had the environment configured to compile the code and package it in an installer.

Once I can't find any more work to do with the Wherigo Foundation site and API, I can return to Kit. For now, I'm taking a long break from development work to avoid overexerting myself because I'm doing the same type of work here as my full-time job. I'm also trying to arrange a number run caching trip to either New Mexico or Colorado in late July (then the other in mid-September), but it's a challenge finding people willing and able to make the trip (if this appeals to you, contact me outside the forum).