Internal antenna question

jbordy

I think I read somewhere that an external antenna like on the 60CSx is more accurate than an internal antenna like on the eTrex Vista HCx. I think I am using the "internal and external" antenna description correctly (correct me if I am not). Any comments on the two basic antenna structures?

Thanks

I think I read somewhere that an external antenna like on the 60CSx is more accurate than an internal antenna like on the eTrex Vista HCx. I think I am using the "internal and external" antenna description correctly (correct me if I am not). Any comments on the two basic antenna structures?

Thanks

An external antenna plugs into the antenna port on some models. Some do not have the external antenna port. The external is a small square antenna on about 14 feet of wire and is magnetic so it will stick to the roof of your vehicle, rather than receiving the signal through the windows. With todays high sensitivity receivers an external antenna will show a slight improvement in a few specific circumstances. Such as in a vehicle in the inner city with tall buildings.

Thanks

An external antenna plugs into the antenna port on some models. Some do not have the external antenna port. The external is a small square antenna on about 14 feet of wire and is magnetic so it will stick to the roof of your vehicle, rather than receiving the signal through the windows. With todays high sensitivity receivers an external antenna will show a slight improvement in a few specific circumstances. Such as in a vehicle in the inner city with tall buildings.

Wow was I ever off. :) I was asking this question concerning the hand helds that I would carry in the woods :o and not one for in a car. Told you I was a neophite!!! :D

Thanks

John

Wow was I ever off. :) I was asking this question concerning the hand helds that I would carry in the woods :o and not one for in a car. Told you I was a neophite!!! :D

Thanks

John

You learn by asking questions. You can get externals for both. The tip I was given shows accuracy improvement by two or three feet to as many as 8 feet. We tend to walk around searching for a cache or just reading the GPS with it laying flat, parallel to the ground. Hold it up, perpendicular to the ground with the top or antenna pointing skyward. Note the difference in accuracy. It will almost always improve. This shows up in the woods in thick cover. I have been trying to get into the habit of holding the unit upright more often.

I don't think the OP is talking about the kind of antenna that those who've replied are describing. I think he means that on some GPSr's you see something stick out that looks like an antenna sort of, where on some other GPSr's you don't

Of course, in either case an external antenna as described by later posters does help.

Thanks

John

Antennas are covered in several GPS oriented sites... just don't ask me to recommend one of hand!

Generally the rules say that the best antenna can see the most satellites, receive them clearly and without anything effecting the signal path (blockage or reflection/multipath) will work the best. Certainly one that is designed to work with the receiver in question stands the best chance of being successful, but if it cannot see the sky from inside / under some cover you haven't got a chance. I use an older Garmin 45xl with an 'external' antenna which mounts on a BNC type jack... It can detach and another antenna attached for use on the car/boat or whatever... The 'factory' antenna swivels around the axis of the jack which allows for a bit of leeway in how you hold the unit. It can lay flat, stand up on end, or some angle between. Also folds alongside for storage (don't expect it to read much that way). One down side is that if you disconnect the stock antenna you can lose or forget it when disconnected and spend much time searching for it or a replacement (good luck when it's discontinued item). But being old unit has not stopped it working well for me.

Thanks

You're talking about quad-helix vs. patch antenna. Neither is inherently better than the other. They have different profiles, so one might work better than other in one set of circumstances, while the opposite may be true under different circumstances. With the advent of high-sensitivity receivers, the antenna type differences aren't as apparent as they once were.

I purchased an external antenna for my 60CS because certain vehicles, such as the Pontiac Montana, had a coating on the windshield that blocked the signal making auto navigation very difficult. I have not made a comparison since I purchased the 60CX with the better antenna. I haven't rented a vehicle with the coating since I got the newer GPS, or the newer SirfIII chip eliminated this issue.