Delorme PN-20 Connectivity Issues Via USB

rambrush

Seeing how I am not getting anywhere fast with Delorme figured I would throw it out here for thoughts and ideas.

Mine has lost contact with Topo 7 Via USB. I have done all of the usuall tricks such as cleaning the contacts, different usb cable, tried it on the laptop and resetting the unit to factory defaults. Still no luck.

It has the latest updates on board.

Plus it is only 6 months old so I have seen where they can repair or replace at there discretion.

Any thoughs or ideas?

I need a diversion, too. Not sure if I can be of help.

It sounds like you've tried the first line. One other thought was to check the spring-loaded contacts in the cable that mate with the GPS--sometimes one can get stuck in the housing (if you tried another cable, you probably ruled this out).

You tried another computer. Check.

You reset to defaults. Check. To go further down this line, it may be worth retrying more aggressive resets. There are some listed in the Delorme PN-20 Tips & Tricks forum, but we'll have to wait a little for that (I don't know them off the top of my head).

It *might* be worthwhile trying a fresh set of batteries...or even just removing and replacing the battery.

I trust you've tried different ports. Avoid hubs when having problems.

Are you able to connect in other modes besides Delorme USB? Also, try with "Enable Serial Port" toggled on the Interface screen. I recall at least one person saying they regained connectivity after toggling that setting one way or another (I think it's disabled by default).

You can give Delorme Tech Support a call--they're usually very helpful. Hmm...if I've typed that, I must be at the end of my ideas. Good luck!

Yep I have tried all the tips and tricks I could find. Including the 4 finger hard reset no luck on any of those. They do say you usially have to reload the latest updates because it takes you all the way back to the begining. Mine still shows the latest update in with a july date.

I just pulled the adapter off and rexamined it. Only 7 pins sticking out and 1 is flush is yours like that or all 8 pins poking out?

Edited by rambrush

That could be it...all 8 ought to be poking through. If you tried another cable but in the same travel adapter, I'll bet that's the problem. Try playing with a paper clip or pen to get it out. If you hold it so that it's facing down while you do this, you might dislodge some debris that could be holding it in. Perhaps some WD-40 would help. I see the forum is back up, so you can pump some minds there for people that have encountered this.

You could also use the one-piece cable if all efforts are futile. If it comes to it, I think you can buy a new adapter (and they'll probably send you one for free if you're in warranty).

using the PN-20, can one write tracks, routes, etc to the SD card? If so how? Also, how can I send routes, tracks and all that to the SD card when using topo 7? Thanks

All those things are stored in internal memory presently, and so have limitations how many of each. This applies to waypoints, too. Adding SD support is on Delorme's list, but it's probably down the road before we see it.

I'll have someone give you a call tomorrow to arrange the cable replacement, please send me a PM with your contact info. Sorry you had some trouble getting through to TS, sometimes call volumes are higher on Mondays after the weekend. Let me know if you have any other questions about your Earthmate PN-20.

Chip Noble

Team DeLorme