Gps for geocaching and car.

inaivylove

I am a newbie well actually I have known about this for years and was really interested but now it is going to be possible to do. But I need a GPS unit. But I also Travel Lots and was needing one for my car as well. So My question is.

Which GPS unit is going to be the best for using in my car for long distant travel but also is going to be the best for doing the GPS caching.

I would love to stay around $200!

Thanks!

OH and am i going to have to buy updates for the unit everyonce in a while and how much do those cost?

Edited by inaivylove

I am quite new to geocaching myself. I am in a situation like yourself. I use the Garmin Nuvi 200. You can purchase this gps unit for right around 200$. This unit is designed for on the road but does come with a "up to 5 hr battery life" This gps unit has a off road capability which is what you would use for geocaching. I have had no problems using this unit other then you have to be mindful of the battery. I plug my gps unit in while driving to the next cache and haven't really ran into any problems. The nice part about using a gps unit like this is that you can have it navigate you to your next cache then switch to off road and find the cache. As stated above I can only tell you about what I have and what I have used. The map updates are right around 70$ for this unit. You wouldn't need to update the maps for the geocaching but more for using it for when you travel.

Edited by stiggycj