Unlisted survey marker along AT in Holmes, NY

Team Bacmac

My first waypoint find, and it's not listed anywhere!

I found this survey marker while hiking on the Appalachian Trail in Holmes, NY on Saturday, September 6, 2008. Unfortunately, I cannot find it in the database.

It is a round survey marker stamped with the “AT” logo and the alphanumeric combination 270-NY -25A (with the last "A" really looking like a combined "AT").

Its approximate coordinates are N 41 33.285 W 73 42.192. These are not exact, as my husband had the GPS today (drat!). I went on Topo, picked the approximate location where I found this, and chose those coordinates.

It would be interesting to see if anyone else finds this one.

I submitted a new listing to Waymarking.com, and I have a photo, but being a noob, I don't know how to post it here! ;)

bacmac

Did it look like this one?

61fa47b3-a4dc-43a7-a6fb-4f112cbcc37a.jpg

The Geocaching Benchmark database is a circa 2000 snapshot of the National Spatial Reference System managed by the National Geodetic Survey (NGS), part of NOAA. Although it includes over 700,000 markers across the US, there are many times more than that number that, for a variety of reasons, are not included. The benchmarking FAQs explain this more fully.

The mark you found is what is known as a cadastral survey mark, meaning that it is related to a property boundary, in this case the Exterior Corridor Boundary of the Appalachian National Scenic Trail. The stamping means that it is marker number 25A in Segment 270, which is located in the state of New York. For reference the one pictured above is marker number 102 of Segment 206, in Vermont. Incidentally, it is also one of the very few AT markers included in the NSRS.

To post a photo, it has to already be uploaded to a site online (such as a benchmark log page). You can then link to it using the photo icon in the post browser.

...speaking of the AT marks - has anyone run across their database? I read an article earlier this year about an AT trail maintenance project in my area that, among other things, included checking on the condition of the '35 marks in the area', but I haven't found a database (I'll admit I haven't actually contacted any AT people directly, however). I've found a 1/2 dozen or so - mostly at road crossings...

...speaking of the AT marks - has anyone run across their database? I read an article earlier this year about an AT trail maintenance project in my area that, among other things, included checking on the condition of the '35 marks in the area', but I haven't found a database (I'll admit I haven't actually contacted any AT people directly, however). I've found a 1/2 dozen or so - mostly at road crossings...

There isn't one that I am aware of. The survey plats for the Exterior Corridor Boundary are recorded in the appropriate Registry of Deeds, and depict the locations of survey markers, including diagrams of ties to witness objects for individual markers.

Here's a sample:

e48fcdb3-036d-4265-8683-7d0027ec3137.jpg