Ever find a cache - BEFORE you knew what caching was?

Mokzii

I recently recalled finding, on a hike to an old Civil War Cemetery, in the middle of a bunch of brush, a tipped over box. Tupperware, if I remember correctly. The contents were a bunch of toys, patches and sticker strewn all over the ground.

I had never heard of geo caching. This was in or around 2002.

It was fall, close to Halloween, and the woods always seem creepy at this time to me anyway - and something about a bunch of toys scattered around in the absolute middle of no place really made my skin jump for some reason. It was just so unexpected and out of place! I remember snapping a shot, and commenting on it to my friend from time to time. "Remember the creepy toy scene we found in the woods that one time?"

Looking back on it now - I'm almost positive it was a plundered cache!

Seems very surreal to me.

Ever had this kind of experience before? Something you had no idea was a cache until much, much later?

Edited by Wurmie

I hate to say I did this but....

Well about 4 years ago, I came across what I now know to be a cache out in the woods, it was a 5.56nato ammo box. Opened it up saw a bunch of little plastic toys and some weird coins to me, there was a notebook in a plastic bag...

To me being a hunter working the treeline, I saw it thinking some kid was out there playing and left it behind. I didnt even think to open the notebook, and there wasn't any stickers or anything, so I picked it up, took it home, threw out the contents and proceeded to use the container to store empty brass in to be reloaded.

Now 4 years later, and when I found my first ammo-can-cache, I was like oh s***. I was one of those muggles that destroyed someone else's cache.

The lesson to those placing caches, put a official geocache sticker on there, if I would have seen one of those, I would have put it back and left it alone. In fact I may have checked it out and got started in caching myself much earlier than I did. :lol:

Well about 4 years ago, I came across what I now know to be a cache out in the woods, it was a 5.56nato ammo box. Opened it up saw a bunch of little plastic toys and some weird coins to me, there was a notebook in a plastic bag...

To me being a hunter working the treeline, I saw it thinking some kid was out there playing and left it behind. I didnt even think to open the notebook, and there wasn't any stickers or anything, so I picked it up, took it home, threw out the contents and proceeded to use the container to store empty brass in to be reloaded.

Now 4 years later, and when I found my first ammo-can-cache, I was like oh s***. I was one of those muggles that destroyed someone else's cache.

The lesson to those placing caches, put a official geocache sticker on there, if I would have seen one of those, I would have put it back and left it alone. In fact I may have checked it out and got started in caching myself much earlier than I did. :lol:

Double secret reverse double post. Wow... the Clipper City Heavy Seas beers are STRONG!!! I recommend the Peg Leg Stout. Edited by Trinity's Crew

Think "Fast Times At Ridgemont High". Think Spicoli. Think what he called Mr. Hand (Ray Walston) - rhymes with too stick!

Just kidding. I admire you for coming clean. Cache on!